Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

brand of runflat tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by msmaryr, Dec 4, 2010.

msmaryr guest

my current bridgestons tiranza runflat have about 43,000 on them
    thinking it is time to replace them. My options are to stick with the bridgestone
    or move the the conti. I have been told by dealers that the conti run longer
    anyone had any experience with them?
    Also recently had low pressire indicator go off on current tires
    brought them in and was told a nail was causing the problem, they patched the runflat, which I didn't think you could do. (I have the road hazzard insurance)
    a month later my car went in to another dealer for standard service and I was told there is a bubble in the same tire that was patched
    I think these events may be related, but prob impossible to prove, any suggestions?

Pyewacket1

My wife had Bridgestone's on her 2005 MINI and replaced them with Continentals (she got over 50K on them). About 4000 so far on the new tires, and she is happy with them. She's not one to push the limits on a car, so I can't say anything as to performance differentials.

Patches are possible, but sometmes difficult to do on run-flats.

Could the bubble be related to the patch?

Anything is possible, but as you said, it would be difficult to prove. Especially at the end of a tire's lifespan.

rbindc

If you have the BMW wheel and tire hazard insurance the dealer was supposed to replace the tire - not patch it. At least that is what the BMW brochure states

See BMWUSA website: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BMWUltimateProtection/TireandWheelProtection.aspx

autosnytgd

Our Bridgestone run flats only lasted 18K miles and were noisy since 15K. We were eligible for a $500 rebate after we bought Contis, which we consider to be a superior tire in every respect.

Factory Brigstones Run Flats !

Currently have over 35k on the factory Brigstones ( 2009 E90 Driven agressively 16" wheels) and am amazed they aren't more worn or noisier ? Preparing to change soon to 18" wheels with either Conti or Kumho's I've had excellent luck with on 528i. Any recommendations or knowledge of which would work best ? ?

autosnytgd

Check the Tire Survey Results at Tire Rack. Among Ultra Performance All Seasons, Contis rate #1 and Kumhos rate #11. Not sure if you are using All Seasons or Summers with Winters, possibly.

rbindc

I just ordered all-seasons for my new 335is coupe. For my car the only real choice is between the Conti DWS and the Michelin Pilot A/S. The DWS is better in the wet and in snow but less responsive in the dry. The Contis are also a bit quieter and significantly cheaper than the Michelins.

That said, I chose the Michelins because 90 percent of the time we drive in dry weather and I was willing to sacrifice bad weather performance to optimize dry weather performance.

If you are buying Summer performance tires the Conti DW looks like the sweet spot.