Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E30 Rally Car Tips

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Bimmerdude3, Dec 2, 2010.

granthr

You mean that is not okay?!! Now you tell me!! :p

CRKrieger

I do it all the time. Any time one of them rounds off or seizes, I drill off the head and use it for a locating pin or just remove it and throw it away. Then I forget about it.

Think about it. Those are only in there for manufacturing assembly convenience. If you lose a rotor because that screw is gone, you've got much bigger problems to worry about.
    I'm curious about how tie rods look just before they snap. Honestly, I've never seen one break except from crash damage, so I'd like to learn your technique to predict when they're about to break on their own.

Zeichen311

Fixed that for you but agree with the rest. ;) Even us shade-tree types appreciate a rotor that stays put while reinstalling the caliper. Since the screws only cost about a quarter I usually bought new ones with new rotors. That, a dab of anti-seize and a torque wrench prevented any removal problems.

tiFreak

it's also helpful for keeping the wheel bolt holes lined up when you're putting the wheel on

CRKrieger

Ah; yer a buncha' weenies. :p The old Audi Quattros I ran didn't even have a provision for those screws. The rotor hat was always floating. The time you waste fiddling with these things is a lot more than the time I lose by not having them in there to help me find the bolt holes.

Bimmerdude3 guest

Im not concerned with the rotor falling off while im driving, but with the screw out and **** corroding n the hole ill never be able to get another one in. ANd if I do ever get these old rotors off without just replacign the whole hub assembly it might be nice to not have to worry about it hitting me in the head while its on the lift

To be honest I cant recall ever seeing a tie rod snap either but then again ive never been able to crumble a rotor in my hand either. I poked one of the vents out with the back end of a socket. I guess theres time for a learning curve here but I dont think with the ammount of rust that it would be impossible espiecally in the event of rally pracitce fo rsomething to snap this rod. To check when I cut it off, get it off, swap out the whole steering rack, im going to beat it with a hammer to see who wins.

CRKrieger

They can't come off unless the caliper is loose or completely off. If the caliper is off, you're working on the brakes. If you're working on the brakes and a rotor falls on your head, you deserve it.

granthr

OUCH!!!! :p

Bimmerdude3 guest

Rightfully so, my diet probably has something to do with that... =D

Im debating whether I should do an M50 swap, turbo the eta, or focus on the other areas first.

To be honest I have an E36 dashboard, Cluster/ECU, M50, getrag that was attached to it, multiple driveshafts, etc. All from my 94 325is, I was going to keep them as spares or a spare turbo motor/ECU but its taking up a hell of alot of room over here.

Comments? opinions?

Other than im a retard that should have a brake disc fall on my head, please! =)

MGarrison

Well, hey, look what Newton came up with from getting hit on the head with an apple, so just think what could be in store for you!

Don't turbo the eta - that motor ain't worth the expense or the time.

Consuming space?? What???? So what? Are you a CAR GUY™ÃƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚©Ã‚®, or what?? :p Botond SLEPT with his engine... for months!

Fix the basics, make it run reliably. Then, hit the mods, if it _even_ makes sense to do so.