Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Y cable

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by jbmccormick, Nov 28, 2010.

jbmccormick guest

I just purchased a 2011 335 convertible with the iPod navigation adapter. Was the Y cable supposed to come with it?

Page 178 of the owners manual makes reference to a cable available from your BMW dealer.

Is this something else you have to buy?

John

Zeichen311

No and no. The manual is out of date.

As of September 2010 production the Y-cable is no longer required. The new hardware supports a full digital connection to the console USB jack using the standard Apple cable included with your iPod. (Note the USB jack in the glovebox is only for uploading files to the hard drive, not iPod playback/control.)

jbmccormick guest

Not, thanks for responding

I tried two separate iPod cables. I tried the one that came with my iPhone (that I know works). when I plug it in it says "not supported."

When I unplug it it says "not connected."

My dealer said they were sending me a cable, so lets see what they send. Any other suggestions are welcome.

davem3fan DaveM3Fan

Is your Apple device updated to the latest software version?

I suggest you make sure any iPod or iPhone you may be trying to use is updated to the latest software.

All of my Apple devices work in my 2011 M3 with just the iPod cable into the USB port in the console.

HTH

jbmccormick guest

Dave,

I did that too. I have pretty religiously kept my phones and other devices current, so I am not sure what the issue is. I may try another phone there and see if it works. I had not tried another but that is a logical next step.

thanks for the help, much appreciated.

John

jbmccormick guest

ok I tried my gen 2 iPod with the old cable. It didn't work.

I got the "cable" from my dealer today plugged it in and it worked, it worked fine in fact.

Do I have an "older" 2011 335?

Do I have a problem that I realize later right now that isn't apparent?

Am I worrying about nothing?

John

Zeichen311

Er, oops ... I may have steered you wrong. When you said "just purchased" my addled brain somehow excluded the possibility that you bought it off the lot or that "just" could still mean it was ordered & built before September. :eek:

If your car was built before September it does not have BMW's latest and greatest iPod integration hardware and the Y-cable is still necessary. Otherwise, I suppose it's possible your other cables could have a bent pin or two that only affects the connection to your car. In any event, if the dealer sent you a (Y-?) cable that works, I say use it and don't worry.

(You can find the build date of your car on the black sticker with the VIN, located usually on the left door jamb, left shock tower or the underside of the hood. I forget where it is on the 335i and can't check until tomorrow....)

jbmccormick guest

Not,

I bought it off the lot this past saturday. I am not sure how long the car sat there, it's a pretty regular car with lots of features so its not one that would take an extra special buyer to want it. I hope that made sense. I will look at the car in my garage to figure out the build date.

My iPhone and iPod work in my 911 and I tried two different cables so I am guessing it has to be early 11's did not have latest / greatest.

Again, thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

John