Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Looking for the perfect car...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Deutsch Marques, Nov 24, 2010.

Deutsch Marques

...that probably doesn't exist.

I would like a single car that does everything. I understand such a car probably doesn't exist, but I figured I'd put it out there for suggestions and opinions to see how close we can come.

My criteria:
    1. Reliable enough to be a daily driver
    2. Fun and performance of a sports car
    3. Practicality of a wagon or hatchback
    4. Top-down or open-air fun
    5. Comfort and features of a sports-lux or grand-touring
    Some of the cars on my wishlist include the VW GTI, Audi A3 or Mini Cooper S (satisfy 1, 2, 3), BMW 5 (1, 2, 5), Aston Martin Vantage (coupe 2, 5; roadster 2, 4, 5). Bah, I may as well wish for a Jabberwock, since some of my criteria just can't exist together.

rspeser

Pick up a Z-4, meets all criteria except for # 3. Then again you could get a utility trailer for it and meet all your criteria.
    • Staff

steven s

Deutsch Marques

You know... I never thought of using a utility trailer to give a convertible/roadster the practicality of a hatch/wagon. And the new Z4's metal roof would give it 4-seasons drive-ability. I'd have to live with 2 seats, which usually isn't a problem. But there are times I have an extra passenger or two besides my wife. Hmm, something to think about. The new Z4 isn't my favorite looking car out there, and I would be severely hampered in cargo capacity unless I had the trailer (which I don't want permanently behind the car...)

I suppose any convertible could be given the practicality with a trailer. Including my M3. Though I'd have to get the metal roof for the M3 for the winter.

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. Unfortunately, a 10-15 year old car doesn't sound very appealing to me as my one and only ride.
    • Staff

steven s

Didn't know you were looking for something new or newer.
    Hatchbacks are so practical. Of course I'm kinda partial to these trunk impaired bobtails.

M3Driver guest

Mini Cooper S Clubman....

Michgndr89

I'm firmly convinced such a things does not exist, nor have I found any vehicle than is able to cover a majority of the key aspects involved in the range of things I ask a vehicle to do.

For fun driving, there's the BMW in my garage. But it's lousy for pulling my 5th wheel (I haven't attempted it) or my duck boat. So I have the truck, but the mileage sucks and the suspension is made of concrete, so it seems.

"Perfect vehicle" is proabably only applicable to a narrow range of conditions/desires.

BTW, you forgot #6 on your list. "Presence of a clutch"

CRKrieger

Unfortunately, they haven't made a decent phaeton (the body style, not the Volkswagen name) in about 75 years. But, back when the biggest cars were the fastest cars, this was one of the best:

[IMG]

Duesenberg Model J Dual Cowl Phaeton by LeBaron (NO! Not the Chrysler name!)

Deutsch Marques

I would prefer the standard Cooper S over the Clubman. Sure, the Clubman gives you more cargo space and more room for the rear seats. But it's not too often I need to cram anyone in the back, and I could always leave the rear seats down for added cargo space.

I wasn't going to put that much detail into the request. It's hard enough finding a model car that does everything I'm looking for. And while I loathe traditional automatic transmissions with torque converters, I don't have an issue with automated-manuals.
    • Staff

steven s

My 03 Cooper S has more rear leg room than my E36.
    Next time I load it up with mulch I'll need to take a picture.
    The guy at Lowes was shocked to see me fit it all in the car.

Brian A

Oh yeah? ... well, ... with my E30 convertible has limitless headroom and the rear seat is easily removed. I have hauled, among many other things, a, i.) firepit from Costco. ii.) a tablesaw, iii.) a 26" CRT TV and iv.) a dozen 12 foot lengths of hardwood molding. (... although not all at the same time). ... So there.

Actually my favorite car for hauling is my 1991 5 series wagon ... well, okay, its a 1991 Honda Accord EX Wagon (5 sp manual), but I can actually carry 4x8 sheets of plywood with it.
    • Staff

steven s

That's true. I use my E30 convertible to bring cardboard to recycling.
    Works great.

Brian A

D'oh. I forgot you had one too.
    • Staff

steven s

The Mini is my wife's.
    The E30 gets me to work. My ti is my track toy.
    Maybe Santa will get me an 1M Coupe. :)

M3Driver guest

Kreiger, if that is YOUR car....I take back everything I have ever thought (well, almost everything) about you......;)

vlad2000 guest

2003 BMW 540i forever

I vote for 2003 BMW 540i

dms540i

az3579

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I think I've got it. . .

You're looking for a car:

1. Reliable enough to be a daily driver
    2. Fun and performance of a sports car
    3. Practicality of a wagon or hatchback
    4. Top-down or open-air fun
    5. Comfort and features of a sports-lux or grand-touring

Party A and I just returned from a Thanksgiving run across the hills to Palm Desert over one of the most delightful roads in SoSoCal in her 335i, and I have to say, the damn thing continues to amaze me. Hers is a four-door, so it gets occasional friends-hauling duty without having to origami them into the back seat; and with the rear seats folded down, an unbelievable amount of crap can be hauled (and let's remember that the E90 has genuine solid roof-rack mounts).

You lose some of that hauling ability if you go with the 335i convertible instead, but I must say it may be even better-looking than the four-door (though perhaps no more than the coupe, which I find just lovely).

Deutsch Marques

I have pictures somewhere of what I managed to fit into my old E46 330i. It was a run to Home Depot just after moving into our new house. I loaded up one of those flatbed carts and managed to fit everything into the car with the seats folded. I had the roof racks put on the car and didn't even need to use them. I was parked in a spot right up near the doors, and it was funny seeing all the people gawk and look in amazement as I fit everything in!

Ah, yes.. the E39 5-Series wagon. I drove a 540 wagon at an Ultimate Drive one year, and was amazed at how nice it was... plus I was chirping the tires at every light without even realizing it! After a few lights, I turned to my wife and said "who the hell is hot-rodding their car?" Then it dawned on us, we looked at each other and had silly grins plastered on our faces.

Only problem is the 540 wagon comes in a slush-o-matic only. The sedan loses the utility (and doesn't look as good imo), and while sporty, not quite the same as the V8 Vantage I test drove. Plus no convertible wagons.

I'm still in love with the E46, and deeply miss my Tourmaline Violet 330i (only one in the country!) The E9X just doesn't do it for me. If I were to consider an E9X, and I have, it would likely be the wagon. But thanks to Americans' lust for SUVs over truly practical wagons and hatchbacks, my choice is limited to the smaller engine. In the end, trading one wagon for another isn't really gaining me anything.