Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

When did you replace run-flat tires with bubbles?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by edyu, Nov 22, 2010.

edyu

I read that if you have bubble on your run-flat tires then you must replace the tires right away. I also read that many people have bubbles on their tires in like 200 miles. Do you just throw away those bubbled tires right away? It just seems really expensive if that's the case.

What did you do?
    • Staff

steven s

I would replace it. But that's just me. :)
    I'd rather not chance a bad tire.

az3579

With a standard tire, of course.
    • Staff

steven s

Even if it's a runflat.
    I mean, it's not like I would tow the car if I saw a bubble, but I would replace it.
    I can see rubbing against the curb or a pothole and rupturing the tire.

kingtiger guest

Tire replacement

My '08 M5 had brand new Michelin tires on it, not run flats, put on to qualify for the certified warranty at 8,800 miles. The service dept said to just call the BMW hot line and they would fix or replace the tire. It rides very well and the car sticks like glue to the roadway.

Pyewacket1

That's a very open ended question.

How many miles on the tires, and what tread-life is left?

Also, is the bubble due to a tire defect or did you "curb" your tire, causing the damage?

In the end, I doubt I would drive for any length of time on a known defective tire.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

What an odd question. . .

I don't think bubbles will work as well as the run-flats. . .

(Okay, okay, I apologize! I just couldn't help myself!)

:D

Pyewacket1

LOL!!!

Oh, you remember Bubbles, don't you? She's the exotic dancer down at the local nudie-bar...

M3Driver guest

Certainly....:)

There is no law that says you must replace run-flats with run-flats. I think you'll be surprised at how better the car handles too.

M3Driver guest

I think we know where THIS thread is going......:D

MGarrison

lol! Yeah.... when I first read the thread topic, I thought 'bubbles' was an oddly-nicknamed reference to conventional, non-runflat tires. I suppose it could have been a dyslexic Flintstones fan... Rarney Bubbles.... anyway, presumably Bubbles-the-dancer doesn't runflat umm... anywhere.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Them bubbling run-flats

By the way, when we yanked the run-flats off Party A's 335i to replace them with Yokomama AVS08s, danged if two of them did not have bubbles in the sidewalls---one of them more than one. I have no idea how many miles they ran that way.

markarlson guest

I had "bubbles" on the sidewall of my Dunlap runflats on my 2004 BMW 545i. I replaced them immediately with non-runflat Continentals and could not be happier. The ride is much improved, handling is improved, and MUCH more quite with road noise. DUMP YOUR RUNFLATS! :D

Pyewacket1

I guess I don't quite understand why so many seem to eagerly support a "run-flat jihad".

I neither advocate nor condemn them. While many certainly feel replacing them greatly improves their vehicle's ride qualities, there are times when a run-flat can be advantageous... such as your 18 year-old daughter having a flat in a "less than desirable" area of town late on a Saturday night.

Yes, they don't wear as well as non-run-flats, they cost more, they are difficult (if not impossible) to repair, and in many areas aren't stocked by anyone other than the nearest BMW dealer. Still, they do have their niche.

If given the choice, I would not purchase them on a new BMW, but I don't, and it has not inhibited me in the selection of BMW's.

Personally, I have a real problem riding around with an unsecured spare taking up what little trunk space I have, and a tire-patch kit really doesn't appear to be much of a solution for most women (and quite a few men as well).

At the end of the day, as long as BMW sales continue to grow with no non-run-flat tire options, I can't see BMW changing its run-flat decision (or dipstick position, etc.).

Just my thoughts on the issue....Feel free to disagree.

Zeichen311

Because everything on the Internets is true. :rolleyes: (Who was it that first said, "Fact is solidified opinion?")