Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Anyone else not receive $1,000 rebate timely?

Discussion in 'Membership Rewards Rebate' started by msjs2001, Nov 19, 2010.

msjs2001 guest

I've read other posts about people receiving rebate checks within a matter of a few weeks. One guy had his within one week and before his first payment was due!

I mailed my paperwork to the Club on September 10, 2010. The Club received it via USPS on September 13, 2010. As of today, November 19, 2010, I have no check. I HAVE received a lot of run around though from the Club. All they can tell me is that the check was cut over a week ago, but can't verify if it was mailed. I was referred to an 800 number at BMW NA. That person spent 30 minutes with me on hold, and then had to take another two days to research it. For such a large international company, I am utterly stunned no one seems to know what's going on. BMW NA also cannot confirm if the check has been mailed, or how long it takes to arrive. They have no contact with the accounting department, and told me to call the Club again. The same Club that told me to call BMW NA. No one wants to take responsibility for anything or their part. The person at BMW NA said I couldn't speak to, or even correspond with, their supervisor because he's in a "non-customer contact role". What a joke!

It's very discouraging when you complete your paperwork on time, send it in on time, and it takes THIS LONG to get an "I don't know" and "I went above and beyond" response. I realize it "may" take up to 8 weeks---but that was eclipsed as of last week, but I guess that doesn't matter.

Just curious what others have experienced.
    • Staff

executive director

$1000.00 reward rebate

The particular rebate in question was promptly processed by the Club and it was submitted to BMW NA for payment. The Club and BMW NA are two separate entities and the Club has no control over when BMW NA issues checks.

Club personnel have responded to each and every inquiry from this member, whether it be by phone or e mail. Unfortunately, we have not been able to satisfy this member as their check has yet to arrive.

While we remain willing to assist each and every member with their reward rebates, and any other issues they have, please remember that we are only human and can only accomplish that which we can.

As we approach the holiday's millions of American's are out of work and many children face the prospect of bleak celebrations; perhaps those of us who are more fortunate should focus on the blessing we have.

Frank

ForcedInduction guest

Maybe BMW NA should be reading this forum and taking note of the dissatisfaction of owners when a simple rebate can't be processed in a timely manner?
    • Staff

executive director

BMW NA asks that members allow 8 weeks for checks. In this case the check was cut in the 8th week.

Frank

msjs2001 guest

Thanks for the quick reply Frank, and I appreciate the commentary about the state of our economy.

I find it rather presumptuous however to assume that people who [drive BMWs] are "more fortunate" than others, considering one can pick up an entry level 3-series for under $30K. This price point rivals many brands, both domestic and foreign. I drive a BMW because I'm an educated consumer, not because I'm more fortunate.

In regards to the millions out of work, I could be one of those people you refer to. Just another perspective.

Jackie

msjs2001 guest

I disagree Frank. Monday is week #10 that the Club has been in receipt of my paperwork. Week #8 was on November 8th. The check was not cut, mailed (or received) within the stated 8-week timeframe.

Excellent idea from ForcedInduction about BMW NA reading these posts since they pride themselves in great customer service with all the surveys they mail.
    • Staff

executive director

This rebate request is within the 8 week window. There are no $1000.00 rebates on 3 Series. $1000.00 rebates only come on 5 Series cars and above.

If you purchased a 3 Series and filed paperwork for a $1000.00 rebate that must be why your check has not been processed. Please review your paperwork and determine that you filed for the correct rebate.

Frank

Pyewacket1

I've had no problems. Filed for a rebate on a 2010 328i last March and got the check in about 6 weeks... maybe less.

1996 328ti guest

Fact is most rebates are in a timely fashion. I read about it time and time again.
    Here and in Roundel.
    The difference is people only go online to post problems, not to post about their good experience.
    Maybe someday I'll be able to buy a new car and take advantage of the membership rewards rebate. Until then, I like what the club offers me and will drive old cars.

345861 guest

Process Improvement Needed

I think the "take-away" here is that there appears to be some member frustration regarding the inability to track and follow up on the status of BMW NA rebates. And, there are too many individuals involved over time, which exacerbates the situation. CCA says they turned it in but they have no idea on the status at NA. NA says they have no way to track it. This is a problem!

Instead of bickering about who can and can't do what, CCA should take the high road, be more proactive and work with NA to come up with a better process that allows for better tracking of member rebates.

And regarding the economy, yes. Everybody is getting a little testy but we all need what's due us ASAP.

:)

msjs2001 guest

Frank---the mention of a 3-series was for illustrative purposes. I simply stated a 3-series price point rivals many other brands.

My rebate form was completed correctly. An X5 qualifies for a $1,000 rebate, which is what I'm due---regardless of my fortune or employment status.

The rebate request was not within the 8-week window. Eight Mondays from September 13th is November 8th. You claim the check was cut November 11th. It's now the 19th, going into week TEN as of Monday, and no check. I'm told that if a stop payment is done, I have to wait up to another 8 weeks for the replacement check to arrive. You would THINK the Club would step in and tell NA that's unacceptable.

Bottom line is neither the Club nor NA knows when it was mailed, and each is pointing the finger at the other.

There's obviously an issue if some members receive checks within weeks, while others wait the full eight weeks, or more. As I mentioned in my private email to you, perhaps the Club should document the process flow of rebates, look for inefficiences and ways to improve, and/or have members complete surveys (like NA does) to determine if things are happening the way the Club thinks they are. That's the only real way to know...either that or have people continue to post on the forum.

bcweir

I agree - seems like there's plenty of room for improvement.

Why illustrate with a 3-series if you bought an X5? If you bought an X5, then say you bought an X5. Changing your story after the fact does nothing to change the basic circumstances that you filed for an award and didn't get it, but it does confuse readers when you start off talking about a 3-series then tell us you bought an X5.

Please speak for yourself and not for people you don't know. I've been searching for work since I was laid off January 22. I assure you, a $283 week unemployment benefit will not meet the financial drain that the cost of purchasing a new or CPO BMW would incur (let's not forget insurance [full collision, not liability -- financial institutions will require full coverage on a new car to insure that their interests are protected in the event of damage or loss to the vehicle], fuel, tires, etc.). Go ahead, play the numbers on your calculator -- they won't work unless you're homeless and plan on sleeping and living in the vehicle. I'd be more than happy to swap places with you -- and I promise to not even complain about my "missing" $1,000 (the correct award on a X5-series vehicle) check.

Based on the answers here, I'm inclined to believe Frank. BMW CCA, from all appearances, does the initial qualification then forwards the information to BMW NA.

You tell us you were waiting on a $1,000 check on a 3-series in the beginning (which makes absolutely no sense to anyone who read the award tables for various BMW's). But then you turn around and blame BMWNA and the Club for failing to read which BMW's qualify for which reward (that doesn't sound like a very educated consumer to me). That's pretty sloppy. But then you say you were only "illustrating" with a 3-series while starting the title of your article with "$1,000 check" to give you cover for the fact that you claim you actually purchased an X5! That's even more suspicious.

But to whine, complain, and generally go negative when you already have the biggest benefit of all (being able to afford a new or CPO X5 BMW in the face of a down economy) seems out of place. Count your blessings when among fellow community members who are a lot less fortunate than you are. I'm lucky to have a roof over my head, without the anxiety of waiting on a check that's some of us are uncertain you even correctly applied for. Or complaining about it.

office guest

This looks like the perfect opportunity for me to explain how this program works and why some rebates take longer than others. The fact is that for the past several years, BMW NA has asked us to allow 8 weeks or more for processing each rebate. Since this is a gift given to our members by BMW NA, we accept that timeframe. Once a rebate is received in our office and verified, a confirmation email is sent to the member. The following is a direct quote from that email:

"It can take up to 8 weeks or longer to process each rebate."

Eight weeks has been the standard timeframe for the last 3 years. Previous to that, when BMW NA was receiving and verifying the paperwork, it was 12 weeks. Currently, the person at BMW NA who handles this program is out for an extended period so our email indicates 10 weeks. The fact of the matter is that sometimes it can take even longer - there are no guarantees - just guidelines.

Once we receive the paperwork, verify it and send a confirmation email, we upload it into an automated system at BMW NA and the paperwork is forwarded to them. If everything matches perfectly and there is no reason for denial, the check is approved and ordered within 2 days of the application being uploaded. The check is then cut and mailed on BMW NA's accounting department schedule. We have absolutely no control or influence over when they mail a batch of checks. I am sure they do it in a very timely manner but we always ask that you allow 10 days from the date the check is ordered for arrival. So, as you can see, some people can have a check in hand in as little as 2 weeks.

Some reasons why a rebate might not go through the automated system successfully:

1) There is a typo somewhere in the name or address as submitted by BMW NA, BMW CCA or the dealer.
    2) The member's sales document indicates one address but they want their check to be issued to another address or possibly an old address is still in the system at BMW NA.
    3) The paperwork indicates the member's name but the dealer has entered someone else's name in the system (possibly a spouse or co-signer) only.
    4) The car was purchased in the name of a company.
    5) The dealer has yet to enter the proper information in their system.

These are only a few reasons why an application might not make it successfully through the automated system. Ninety percent of applications process successfully but the applications indicated above need to be manually looked at and approved by BMW NA. There is one person at NA who handles this program. This is only one of her many job assignments. Sometimes she can get them processed in 4 weeks, some take 6 and yet others take 8 weeks or longer depending on her workload and the issue with the application. Again, I must reiterate that as this is a gift given to our members by BMW NA, we accept this timeframe as a condition of the gift. Once the check has been ordered we ask the member to allow 10 days for delivery to their home.

The timeframe outlined above may not meet everyone's approval but it is the timeframe that BMW NA offers and we accept it along with this great program. We are always available for questions by calling the office or emailing rewards@bmwcca.org. We can check on the status of any rebate application….we cannot however tell you when a check was mailed as BMW NA accounting handles check processing. We can only tell a member that the check was ordered and ask for patience (10 days ) with the accounting department and the US postal service.

In communications on Monday the 15th with this member we confirmed that a check was ordered on the 11th and asked her to wait 10 days for arrival (Monday, Nov. 21st.). This was followed by irate phone calls, emails, and forum postings. We cannot make everyone happy but we all sincerely hope that this check arrives in her mailbox today. If it is not there by Monday, we will do everything in our power to track it down and rectify the situation.

Tricia

mgthompson

I have received two $500 rebates in a timely manner and couldn't be happier with the service.

granthr

$30K for a car is not cheap no matter who makes the car. Even $10K for a car is a lot more than many Americans can afford. So maybe don't be so sensitive.

The point is BMW NA does not have to give us these refunds and the club does not control how quickly BMW NA sends out checks. Just be glad you are getting the money at all.

msjs2001 guest

Tricia---thanks for describing the program. Maybe this will alleviate future posts. I know I'm not the only one who has questioned it---I researched the forum before I posted. Just so we're clear though, I never received a "confirmation email" from the Club. Only after I emailed in October did I know the application was in fact being verified/processed.

I'm sorry this has become a hassle. With the Club acting as third party admin for NA, these are the kinds of questions, concerns, complaints, and kudos that can come up. Hopefully the check will arrive next week.

BCWEIR. I think you read the posts too quickly, or missed a few. I never said I drove a 3-series. I did not mistate the reward amount. I am not "changing" my story as you say. Frank brought up unemployment, and I AM the one who said he doesn't know MY circumstances, and that it was a presumptuous comment for him to make because I could be unemployed for all he knew. I DID speak for only myself, unlike you. I will not apologize to you or anyone else for the choice of vehicle I drive, nor will I be guilted because I'm looking for a reward that's rightfully due, regardless of the current economy, or because you're out of work.

office guest

< Just so we're clear though, I never received a "confirmation email" from the Club. Only after I emailed in October did I know the application was in fact being verified/processed. >

That's correct - since this rebate was submitted in your husband's name, he supplied his email address on the rebate application. The confirmation email was sent to his roadrunner address on September 15th at 3:29pm - 2 days after receiving it via UPS.

Thanks! Tricia

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Thanks, Tricia!

Never have I seen a more cogent explanation of the BMW Membership Rewards rebate program-and I have tried to explain it myself more than once!

I myself have received a rebate for buying a CPO car, and had the normal BMW CCA experience-that is, I received the check faster than I expected (and spent it even faster than that). I was pleased and gratified not only by the service provided by our national office-I am ALWAYS pleased and gratified by that!-but by the fact that BMW NA continues to offer this benefit of membership.

The sense of entitlement that I have perceived in the complaints of those few whose checks have been delayed, or in the outraged protests of those who did not actually qualify for a rebate in the first place, astounds me, because BMW NA provides this program for no reason other than to support the Club. It is not a sales incentive; the rebate works after the sale, and after whatever deal you can wrangle from the dealer. In my case, after buying a CPO car at about $20,000 under the price on the sticker, I still got five hundred bucks! I'm sorry, but even if the check had come late, my response still would have been "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

Pyewacket1

Beautifully stated!
    • Staff

steven s

Just to clarify, the CPO rebate two years ago was $500.00. For 2010 it is $250 with the exception of M cars which are $500.