Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z4M making noise while coasting

Discussion in 'E85/E86 Z4 M roadster/coupe (2006-2008)' started by bluPAZ, Nov 12, 2010.

bluPAZ guest

My Z4M makes a clicking noise when coasting at low speeds. The noise goes away the moment I touch the gas or the brakes. Its not like the gear rattle sound heard in neutral sometimes (which is normal from what I'm told) but is a continuous rapid clicking sound (couple of clicks per sec). Its not loud but is noticeable when I'm in an enclosed space like a garage. Does this sound normal? Its an 06 with only 12k miles.

I bought the car recently and still getting used to it so definitely appreciate any responses!

bcweir

Check to make sure the anti-rattle clips on your brakes are properly installed

That would be the first thing I would check.

epbrown01

I hear nothing like that on mine. This is while the car is moving only, not at idle?

bluPAZ guest

So looks like it might've been the anti-rattle clips after all. I don't hear the clicking anymore after adjusting them a bit (that was a bit of an unexpected outcome though because none of them seemed to be loose). Thanks for the tips!!

bcweir

Congrats on the fix!

I was actually just guessing at the cause, but generally, if I hear any kind of noise from the brakes while NOT braking, it's the first thing I check.

Good job at the fix!