Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Membership Directory

Discussion in 'Member Feedback' started by johnh, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

platinum4life

I must be a sap. I call the number on the card, was very nicely told what the project was, and was asked if I was willing to support it to the tune of $100. When I said no, I was told I could support it at a lower price of $80. Not as nice a book, but the contents would be the same. I felt the sales pitch! I said no, but was willing to supply the requested information. A picture, a story, something. I was told I would get an email with a link. No email as of yet. So, I'm thinking that without my support, they don't want my input. Good idea though.

M3Driver guest

I personally didn't have a problem with any of this. Harris did an alumni book and other publications for my college and I was very pleased with the quality of the publications. Call me naive, but "scam" never even entered my mind. I will agree that the notification timing got out of kilter but those things happen.

tun6twista

reply...

I called yesterday and the man on the other end was very polite. $100 for a hardcover, $80 for soft cover. I asked if I could call back at a later time should I choose to buy a copy and support the book. He said yes and that the deadline for the payment would be February 7th. I am curious to know how big of a picture would be used, and how much of the "story" I submit would be used. I imagine the book would be huge should most of the members opt in. Interesting either way. He did say that this will not be something that will be availiable to others who do not purchase it by the deadline, but maybe that was the salesman in him talking.

bcweir

I talked to Frank about my concerns and I am satisfied with his explanation

However, I wanted to put my two cents worth about my SOLE concern about this effort: transparency.

Email aside, my complaint was the lack of transparency regarding the commercial aspect of this project. Kudos to the thorough explanation of the purpose of collecting this information. There's nothing in the postcard I would have objected to, in or of itself, had that been the sole purpose of the call.

Unfortunately, that was NOT the purpose for soliciting me to contact the toll free number on the card, and that's the heart of my problem with this.

Now I don't know if this omission was by design or simply an oversight, but nothing in the postcard says anything about a sales pitch. The moment the lady mentioned the words "$49.99 installments" and "credit card," my desire to participate immediately dried up. Then when I declined the first time, the lady turned up the pressure on her sales pitch, lowering her request to $20. Regardless, the principle remained that I was being solicited to sell a product and wasn't told this in advance on the postcard.

I draw a distinct difference between being asked to help out the Club on a volunteer basis, and having my contact information being used to drum business for an outside company like Harris Connect to sell me something without my consent, especially without notifying me in advance (or on the postcard) that by calling them to provide such info, I would be subjected to a sales pitch of any kind.

I'm old school. I still believe honesty is the best policy, and being upfront about your intentions is the best way to get my assistance.

My little lecture and vent is over on this. Thank you for listening, and thank you Frank for treating my concerns with the utmost respect.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, the Black Helicopters are still behind the clouds...

Hey, BroWeir:

There's a difference between selling our membership data to anybody who wants it and in using that data to offer a service to our members. I look at these things-like the Brooks Brothers discount, in case I ever need a shirt-as an offer I can accept or refuse.

I would never pay $100 for a yearbook. Hey, wait a minute: I MIGHT pay that kind of money for, say, a memory book of a special event like Oktoberfest 2010! Man, if they could put the stories of THAT week into one volume, I have to say, well, yeah. . . or at least I'd pay $80 for a soft-cover version!

The point is, I could also say, nah, not interested. . . toss the postcard in the recycling bin. What's the big deal?

bcweir

I wish my encounter with Harris Connect was over but it wasn't

Definitely NOT trying to beat a dead horse here, but I was hoping I was done with these people. Apparently not.

After getting an email from them today, I was unfortunately given yet another reason to question their integrity. For once, Yahoo got it right and bounced this one right into my Spam folder, apparently for misrepresenting the "from" information in the email.

If an email is from Harris Connect, then put Harris Connect in the from field! But for crying out loud, don't pretend to be somebody you're not! Harris Connect is NOT BMW CCA, and vice versa.

All of my normal BMW CCA emails are routed correctly into my Inbox.

Call this just my own opinion, but I find it hard to believe that BMW CCA couldn't find a better company to put together something this important.

Not going to say anyone "I told you so," but my previous insistence on 'transparency and honesty' with regard to one's intentions is certainly being exemplified. What could be more telling about a company's honesty and integrity than whether or not they're going to be as honest about something as basic as an email's originating address?

I don't mean to second-guess a decision that's already been made, but this company is repeatedly blowing their opportunity to make an honest first impression here. I'd like to hope that the Club's relationship with its members takes priority over the repeated fumbling this company has been making at being good stewards over our personal information.

I can't think of a single, honest reason that a company that specializes in transacting information should need to disguise the origins of their email communications. Or anything else for that matter.

Just my $20.02. Observe the screenshot and form your own opinions. View attachment 3049

CRKrieger

In a startling reversal of our usual roles, I think you're overreacting here, Brian. Compared to the ones that are real scams (You know; the ones that use YOUR address in the 'From' field?), this is nothing. Reading the information they provided, it's clear enough that they're hired guns.

bcweir

Whatever.

To each their own.

woodym3

I just got a second post card with the exact same wording except "Directory" was changed to "Album". I hope Harris, and not our club, was paying for this second mailing.
    • Staff

executive director

All costs, including any and all potential losses, incurred by this project are being born by Harris Connect.

Frank

drummerfc

So I got a "Final Notice" yellow card in the mail yesterday.

Did any of the regulars here happen to submit any photos/info/etc. for participation in this directory or what? Not to be all "teenagerish" and only do it if everyone else is, but just curious what youse folks did with this. Thanks...

epbrown01

I got my final notice yesterday as well, and tossed it. Hell, I didn't even buy my HS yearbook! :)
    • Staff

executive director

What the Cool Kids are Doing...

When not out back smoking cigarettes about 1400 CCA Members, to date have purchased the Memory/Photo Album along with a chance to include their pics and memories. Okay...back to detention you slackers!

Frank

bcweir

I actually spoke to a few of those so-called "Cool Kids" a few years ago...

Most of them acted like post-40-year-old children -- ie. hadn't matured or grown up at all in the past 20 to 25 years. I hardly find that attractive, appealing...or cool. Some "reunions" are worth skipping.

I tossed my card also.

One more thing that hasn't changed -- cigarettes still kill their customers, and to a slightly lesser extent, the people standing around you. Quitting would improve your health, your teeth, and do your lungs a huge favor too.

M3Driver guest

@bcweir: I agree 100%......

Anyone gotta light?

autosnytgd

These cards are exactly like the college alumni directory cards I get every 5 years or so. They solicit you to verify your information, then give you options for buying the directory. I quit responding. My info is up to date on the websites, no need to verify, and if they want to solicit sales of the directory, talking to me on the phone is worst way, IMHO.

That being said, I realize organizations do these things as fund raisers and they do help the organization.

Z4Photog guest

I called the number on the post card to inquire about the book and got the hard sell. When I balked at the $100 cost for a book that I coud not see an example of first, they right away lowered the cost for a soft cover. The soft cover book was not even discussed until I said that I thought $100 was too high. These kind of tactics put me off right away. When I started to ask further questions they hung up. Case closed. I will NOT be participating. :mad:

bcweir

+1 to Z4Photog: Your experience mirrored mine.

But Frank Patek insists these individuals are the "best" people to handle something as important as a BMW CCA yearbook.

My response is that this would be true if no search were conducted, or if no other parties were considered.

You're not alone in your disappointment, Z4Photog. Not at all.

ncoker guest

I would guess that this whole idea is not initiated by the BMW CCA but was sold to them by "Who is Who Directory" scam world with promises of income for the club. I would bet that the club is only getting a very small portion of the sales. It is unfortunate that this will leave a bad taste for a while which will affect other legitimate income activities of the club.

Ashleigh guest

I thuought it was a good idea, but I don't want to pay $100 for a book. Yes, they really pushed me to buy it too when I called.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.