Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

my "new" bavaria.

Discussion in 'E3 "New 6", 2500, 2800, Bavaria 3.0S & 3.0Si (1968' started by sandy hague, Nov 8, 2010.

sandy hague guest

i am the new owner of a '71 bavaria. it has a 3.0 with webers, a header and a four speed. it has sat for four years. i want to rebuild the carbs, install an electric fuel pump and get rid of the points. i need suggestions as to what to buy. and who to buy from. i haven't been a member of this fine club since 1978. thanks for having me back. oh, and i live in western colorado.

CRKrieger

If you're willing to modify the engine that much, you might do well to consider swapping in a 3.4-3.5 liter from a later 5*, 6**, or 7*** Series. It is nearly a bolt-in and brings with it a chip-tunable ECU fuel injection (sell the Webers to a carb fanatic), electronic ignition, and heck, why wouldn't you want a 5-speed if it comes already bolted up? You can probably buy a car with a serviceable drivetrain for about the same as what you'll get out of the Webers & manifold alone.

* E28 and E34 535i/is only
    ** Later, E28-based 635CSi or L6
    *** E23 and E32 735i/iL or L7

sandy hague guest

i'm in, but

probably not 'til next summer. and i really like the idea of fuel injection. i am currently driving a '88 saab turbo. i think that qualifies me as a glutton for punishment. so, who makes a replacement for my points? how do i determine the type of webers i have. and i will keep my eye open for a nice donor car to upgrade mine with.

John in VA

CRKrieger

Probably standard Bosch parts. Wouldn't surprise me to see they're the same as on a 2002. I wouldn't expect them to be really expensive from BMW. Contact your nearest dealer or call my pal, Brian, at BMW of Chattanooga. He'll give you a great price.
    That website is a good rundown. Webers usually have the model stamped right on them, or at least the throat size(s), at the base flange. If you've got 'sidedraught' types, they're worth some serious bucks to those who want them. 'Downdraughts' less so. The sidedrafts will also have a manifold that some folks will die for. If they're downdrafts, the manifold is probably the stock one that originally carried two Solexes.

The downdrafts will either be two same-size barrels (38/38) with synchronous linkage (both barrels open on the same shaft) or different size barrels (32/36) with progressive linkage (smaller barrel opens first, then larger opens). The latter are good individually on 1600s and 2002s, so you can sell them separately if you like. With the DGV series, the 'E' denotes an electric choke, an 'A' denotes a coolant-controlled choke (will have coolant hoses connected to the side) and a plain DGV is manually choked. DFVs are mirror images of DGV carbs. Take a close look at them and get back to us if you can't figure it out.

sandy hague guest

thank you,

your input has been very helpful. i found the numbers on my carbs. i need recommendations for an electric fuel pump conversion kit. and salvage yards friendly towards bavarias.

CRKrieger

So, what are they?

The electric pump conversion I can't help you with. NO salvage yards are Bavaria-friendly. Nobody wants anything off of them any more and most rusted away a long time ago. There are, however, a lot of E12 parts that interchange.

CSBM5

You don't "need" an electric pump with the downdraft Webers as the stock mechanical one will work fine. Only when fitting the triple sidedrafts do you need the increased flow from an electric pump. However, if you do want one anyway, Korman Autoworks has an electric fuel pump kit they use with the triple Weber conversion -- see down this page a ways. You'll need a pressure regulator also.

As far as E12 parts go, a few of the first things you should do if they've not been done already is to convert to the viscous fan clutch (most E3 friction clutches were long ago bolted solid when they failed) with the larger fan and also the plastic expansion tank if you still have the metal unit.