Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Light in storage compartment between backrests stays on

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by vinayspbmw, Nov 6, 2010.

vinayspbmw guest

Simple problem: The light in the storage compartment between
    backrests does not go off even when the door to the compartment is closed, or when the vehicle in in motion. The only time the light does go off is when the vehicle is locked using the remote. Is this expected behavior?

vinayspbmw guest

I found out what the problem is. There is a little switch at the bottom of the compartment door that activates when the door closes. The door has a little piece of plastic that depresses the switch which seems to be broken. Is this covered by the certified pre-owned warranty? I also bought the vehicle (used) from the dealer less than 3 months ago, so hopefully the dealer will replace the door (?)

az3579

It should be covered under warranty, though I think it's a $50 charge for CPO service regardless of what it is.

I wouldn't pay that much for a piece of plastic. I already made that mistake with my window switch...

vinayspbmw guest

Thank you for your response. I actually have a few more months of the original warranty left, so hopefully this will be something the stealership does for free,

Cool Z4 guest

Don't worry about it. Eventually the light will burn out! I did the same thing to my 2003 and replaced the door and broke the tang once again. I didn't learn my lesson and did the same thing in my 2007. The problem is that if something gets caught in the area whee this tang goes, it breaks off easily. My opinion is that this was poorly engineered. Should have had a switch instead.

ACJohnston guest

I recently bought a 2006 and was curious about the exact same thing...I don't think I am going to take teh time to have it fixed...I will let the bulb die...