Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Brake Fluid Service

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Michgndr89, Nov 2, 2010.

Michgndr89

The little maintenance computer in my '06 330xi says it's time for brake fluid service. How much should I expect to shell out at the BMW dealership...do I need to cancel the kids' Christmas?

wretched

I take it your CPO or new car warranty is over? If so then go to a indy shop that you can find on bimrs.org I went this route and it only cost between $130-$150. Your from MI? I can give you the name of the shop if you would like?

Michgndr89

From Michigan, now living in Wyoming (the state) after 21 years of active duty AF time.

It's a CPO car, but it's beyond the 4-yr point, so now the CPO stuff only covers things that fail instead of normal maintenance actions.

MGarrison

There's always the diy route - flushing brake fluid is a pretty straightforward procedure. Obviously there's some tools you'd need, brake fluid, space to work, and either the Bentley manual (perhaps a bit pricey, but excellent, and worth it for tackling other maintenance) or dig up the procedure from us, or any of the other several places & 'net that would detail what to do.

BIMMIR guest

The Bentley manuals are much cheaper on Amazon. Bavarian Autosports - www.bavauto.com sells good tools and self bleeder kits.

I don't know about CPO but a car within the 4yr/50,000mi program brake flush is covered @ every 2 years.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

One little caveat...

Back in the days before ABS, I had no hesitation in bleeding and flushing my own brake systems, but I have heard some horror stories regarding what happens if you get air in the ABS pump or somewhere mysterious to us geezers OH, NO! YOU'VE DESTROYED THE KANOOTEN VALVE!

In fact, the reason it took so long to swap out my clutch-delay valve for something that would let me shift without looking like it was my first time was a bit of apprehension, knowing that the brakes and clutch share the same fluid. It wasn't until MJ Calabrese disgustedly told me that the clutch-line outlet is ABOVE the brake-line outlets in the reservoir that I dared tackle that little chore. (It did result in about half a pint of fluid down my arms, a small price to pay for a real clutch.)

But I think if I buy a vacuum-type bleeder and read up on the procedures---maybe on the BavAuto website or somewhere?---then this should be an easy enough DIY job.
    • Staff

steven s

I had a dealer change my brake fluid once and they just used a regular vacuum bleeder.
    Didn't even connect it to the MoDIC.

Michgndr89

Thanks, but alas, not enough time in my schedule. I got the ROM I needed for this service.

Again, appreciate the inputs.

BIMMIR guest

Kanooten valve - good stuff! (is that real?)
    Watch out for the doohicky too.
    • Staff

steven s

I think Dinan has a Kanooten valve upgrade. :)