Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

4 years and not a minute more!

Discussion in 'E63/E64 (2004-2010)' started by lhazel, Oct 25, 2010.

lhazel '13 F12

Took my Wife's 2006 650 convertible in for its final service under warranty last week to BMW of Pembroke Pines, FL. Car was indicating the need for a brake fluid flush and micro filter change. I asked my service advisor, David Bushing, to have the techs give it a good going over, as I knew the warranty was about up. He researched the car, and said, "Yes, the Warranty expires at midnight." He then proceeded to try to sell me a 2 year extension to the warranty agreement for about $2200, which I passed on.

The car was ready about six hours later. He told me that "All looked good", and I took the car a few miles to my residence. The next morning, I started the car up at 6 am, noting it seemed labored to start. Drove it the mile to my office and parked it. Came out at noon to go to lunch, and it barely started. I noted the clock was all zeros, and the car was very difficult to steer (adaptive steering is electrically powered), so I drove it back to the dealer, and spoke with David. He went out to the car, and couldn't get it to start. As the car was now out of warranty, David told me "He'd do what he could", which turned out to be a discount from about $525 for a new battery, installed, to $400.15.

How does BMW NA do this? How'd they throw the switch? Satellite downlink? Should I have put aluminum foil around my Radio antenna? Not weeks or days out of warranty, but twelve hours! I'm going to try to get relief from NA. Will update on how it went.
    jerome001 likes this.

CSBM5

"Nice" of him. P/N for the battery is 61217553954, and it carries a BMWNA MSRP of $269.00. Dealer cost is somewhere well below $200. An experienced tech can swap the battery, plug the car in and preform the battery registration in well less than one hour. You would think the least he would do is sell you the battery at true dealer cost and charge 1/2 the true tech time spent on the swap.

granthr

They should have put the battery in for free!!! You would think they would want you to keep coming back.
    jerome001 likes this.

rbindc

I don't get this. A good quality battery should last 6 or 7 years. How can BMW justify an OEM battery failing in just 4 years?
    jerome001 likes this.
    • Staff

steven s

I don't think I ever had a battery that lasted more than 4 years.
    Just replaced a battery last week.

dmmai

hm-mmm

One of my regular drivers is a 2002 540i ... still running the original battery ...
    The car was in the garage for nearly a month during the time we were on vacation, including O'Fest 2010. When we got it out, the battery was a little sluggish but started the car. Driving it that day charged it up. Absolutely no problems since then.

p.s. My daily commute is way more than a mile so the battery gets a good, full charge each trip.

D

CRKrieger

He drives a mile to his office. Obviously, he drives a mile home. No way that battery has a chance to recharge from the start in only a mile. I'm surprised it lasted this long.
    jerome001 likes this.

eam3

We didn't drive our '08 535i for a little over a week and the battery died. We left our two Volvos outside the entire summer while we were gone and they both started just fine. It's a Joy thing ;)
    jerome001 likes this.

rbindc

Back in 1998 a colleague of mine left her new BMW 3 series in the garage for 3 months. When she returned to the US the car started up with no problem. I couldn't believe it!

BMWCCA1

Comfort Access with the key left near the car maybe??

(180,000 mile '95 E34 with original battery)

lhazel '13 F12

An Update!

10/26: Got a call this am from a very perky rep at BMW NA by the name of Dawn. Gist of the call, after my explaining the situation to her, was that it wouldn't matter when the battery failed. It's not covered under either the 4/50 Service Plan or the 4/50 Warranty. She indicated that she'd attempt to gain another "concession" from the Dealer, but indicated that's much more difficult after the bill's been paid. Really!:rolleyes:
    She indicated that they (BMW NA) would again update me on the situation, but it might be a week or more.

Thanks to all who responded with "Insider Info" on the cost of parts, etc. And I didn't mean to mislead anyone on the amount the car is driven daily. I just happened to be in a hotel less than a mile from my office the night b4 the battery died. My normal commute is 100 miles, every 4 days, plus local driving. Plenty of time to charge the battery.

CRKrieger

Rats. Another brilliant theory - shot to hell. :mad:
    jerome001 likes this.

granthr

Don't worry you will get one right at some point!!!! :D

eam3

Nope. Just a battery hog E60 killing its battery in the garage (told by the dealer that this is normal).

More importantly, you have a 15 year old battery in your E34? Wow, simply... wow!

rbindc

Are BMW batteries deficient? The OEM battery in my Lexus lasted just over 7 years. The replacement battery (the top of the line Interstate Megatron) is going into its 6th year! The Megatron only cost $100 back in Nov 2004. CR gave the Megatron a top rating back then.

GO INTERSTATE!

ps I just checked. The Interstate MTP is now selling for $114. Still a super bargain.
    jerome001 likes this.

lhazel '13 F12

Well, the saga continues. Here it is July, 2014, and that Brand new, BMW Part Number Excide battery that was installed by a dealer On October 25, 2010, is almost ready for replacement. Almost 4 years! Coincidence? I think not. If the car sits for more than a day, it barely starts. I can top it off with my plug-in variable rate charger, and it's then good for a couple weeks, but then...clock and date display zeros out. Car has comfort access, but key IS NOT left in, or near, the car. Local battery shop has a comparable 850 CCA Excide battery, in black, not white, for about $135. And he will install it. Am going to try this option, but first, a question for any of you Tech Folks: Does an '06 650 battery need to be coded to the car? Thanks in advance.

charlson89

Not coded but it does need to be registered to the vehicle if it is not the alternator will over charge the battery and kill it. Does your vehicle have a AGM battery or lead acid can tell by the case being black (agm), white (lead acid). You will need to make sure you put which ever you have back into the vehicle you can not switch a lead acid to a agm and vise versa with out programming the car to tell it you did that. Also if the car sit a lot make sure you use a trickle charger your car draws a lot of power just from sitting around.

CSBM5

BCables sells a complete package of s/w tools including INPA: www.bcables.com

It takes a just a few minutes of time using a laptop with INPA installed to register the battery. It's very simple...many links on the web will show you the exact clicks to make in the s/w, but it's straightforward.

lhazel '13 F12

Thanks for that. Did not know there was a diffrence. Guess I will look for a white cased battery to replace the one there now.