Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New curiosity / 335i

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Clinesdale, Oct 18, 2010.

Clinesdale guest

Just curious, but can anyone tell me why my car does the following?

1) Idles very loudly at start up only to settle down after a couple minutes (not running at higher revs). Keep in mind that I have the BMW performance exhaust - whatever that means. I love it. I just don't understand what is physically taking place that would cause such a difference. By the way, my wife insists that the neighbors must all hate me for having such a loud exhaust at six in the morning. I reply with, "Just the mothers of small children. The guys love it. I promise."

2) When I first open the door in the morning, there is an electrical humming that occurs. It reminds me of my 1983 Toyota Celica back in the day that would hum while the antenna raised to its full upright position. None of that here.

ForcedInduction guest

The air injection required for lean emissions changes the exhaust note on cold start-up. The electric humming is the low pressure fuel pump building up system pressure for a few seconds before you crank the engine to start it.

E92Dreier

+1 on each account.

345861 guest

#2 - I notice a similar hum, Do you have Navigation? I think the NAV system hard drive is fairly noisy w/o the engine running at stand still.

ForcedInduction guest

The low pressure fuel pump cycles for a few seconds when you open the door or unlock the vehicle.

Michgndr89

What? You're kidding me. I thought the car was purring with the pure enjoyment of seeing me.

ForcedInduction guest

Can I get some of what you're smoking? ;)

MGarrison

You have to buy a Jaguar to get that... oh, wait, that's right, big cats don't purr - guess you'll have to settle for a domestic Ford Feline; looks similar to the Jaguar, same basic parts and functionality, even has in-common dna.... just much smaller.

Michgndr89

OK, OK. I'm just going to have to reframe my reality.

Hmmm. Got it. That noise is the car getting pumped up for the fun drive we're about to have. Yeah, that's the ticket.