Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What's a good racing series?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Deutsch Marques, Oct 18, 2010.

Deutsch Marques

I used to watch Speed World Challenge, Grand Am, Rolex, WRC and F1 and a little bit of ALMS. Now I pretty much only watch F1 (and WRC when I can find it), and have abandoned the rest. World Challenge seemed to just peter out, and Rolex has too much focus on the DP cars and reminds me too much of NASCRAP with right some right turns.

I'd really like to find a good, production based touring car series to watch. It's too bad Speed opts to play all these crap "reality" shows instead of bringing us more actual racing, like some of the European touring car series. Is there anything out there that I'm missing?

CRKrieger

How about live racing? Where do you live? Is there a track nearby? An awful lot of series that might not be too interesting on TV are great when experienced firsthand at a good track. Once you get hooked on that, you start looking for scams to get in free. Joining SCCA and becoming a volunteer track worker is a good one. I've been posing as an SCCA scrutineer for over 15 years now ... :D

My favorite series? Vintage racing. Almost never televised.

Deutsch Marques

I'm about an hour and a half away from Lime Rock, and a few hours away from Watkins Glen. Problem is finding time. With a DVR, I can record whatever races and watch them when I have time. It usually takes me a week to watch one weekend's worth of F1 (practice, qualifying and race.)