Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rant about my BMW dealership.

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by vinayspbmw, Oct 13, 2010.

vinayspbmw guest

Apologies in advance for this rant, but I really have to share this with the rest of my fellow bimmer-owners and BMWCCA members:

I bought a certified pre-owned '07 Z4 from a dealer here in the Pacific NW 2 months ago. During the time that I have had the car, I have had to take it in 4 times for various problems. The problems weren't major, but were / are issues nonetheless. Firstly there were problems with the Xenon's, then there was a noise with the stepper motors for the headlights, then there was an issue with noise under the hood, and last week I realized that the ashtray was missing (which I eventually had to buy because the dealership indicated that my deal was 'closed' and they couldn't front the $27 to buy one). Today I discovered that the horn does not work. To add to all of this, I also have an ignition problem.

After taking my vehicle in several times, many of the problems still persist. Some of them (like the horn and missing ashtray) are just indications of a shoddy job that someone did while inspecting the vehicle before it was sold. I am disappointed because I expected better from a dealership that sells a premium product.

My vehicle is now back with the dealership and they have promised to do a thorough inspection. I will not be surprised if this is just lip service fully expect the car to sit in their lot for four days. They'll probably spend a couple of hours on the horn. Yes, I have lost faith.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do?

John in VA

Never having bought a CPO vehicle, I don't know if you're obligated to have the selling dealership perform your service. Perhaps there is another dealer with a higher satisfaction rating nearby. Did they do the certification "inspection?" If they can't make it right, seek out the dealer's general manager or BMW regional manager.
    The club has Ombudsmen for "Insight and help on disputes after you've exhausted other avenues."
    Good luck!

vinayspbmw guest

Thank you for your response. I believe that buying a CPO and / or the extended maintenance entitles you to take the vehicle to any dealership.

I will take your advice and escalate to the management of this dealership if my problems continue.

14th BMW '16 Z4 35is

Not all dealers...

Sorry to hear about your problems. There are a couple of dealerships here in the NW that are notorious for their treatment of customers. They are not all like that, so if this time around you're not satisfied, then maybe you should try another dealer, if there's one in your city. I go to Rasmussen in PDX and have never had any problems that weren't resolved to my satisfaction since I bought my first Bimmer there about 10 years ago.

Freude am Fahren...

vinayspbmw guest

Thank you for your response. I am considering going to Rasmussen if the dealership in Beaverton (not taking any names...yet) does not do a professional job this time.

eam3

The dealership by my house has given us the best service imaginable for my car, bought at another dealer, and my wife's former 535i, which we bought in Wisconsin. They never treated us any differently and provided loaner cars for us on several occasions (namely the multiple HPFP failures).

vinayspbmw guest

My dealership happily dishes out loaners - its fixing my problems that they suck at.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

What he said

Rasmussen. That's where I went when I was in Portlandia, before moving to paradise.

vinayspbmw guest

Update:

My dealership has been providing with daily updates (well, on Thu and Fri last week). The foreman said he was going to be working on my vehicle personally, and I have been quite impressed with his timely and detailed updates.

They are replacing the following parts: horns (both were bad, and I am still baffled that they would sell me a car without working horns), both headlight assemblies, and the ignition switch. I had sent my sales rep a strongly-worded email last week. I am disappointed that he chose not to respond, but maybe his response was to talk to the service dept which is why they are giving me more attention then I have ever received till date. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating and when I get my Z4 back. If they have done a thorough job this time then I will try and make the relationship work. If, on the other hand, its the same story again, then I will have to pursue another course of action.

rspeser

After reading your post the easiest thing to say is that there are two types of dealers, fantastic and bottom feeders. If you happen to move to Fl, there is a fantastic one in Pensacola, Fl. I have had my car into them several times for quirky problems similar to your descriptions and they have always made them right. In fact they have also installed some items for me such as a hardwire for the radar detector and only charged a half hour labor. Give them a chance, and the dealer there might surprise you.

vinayspbmw guest

Another update:

It has been 5 days since I left my Z4 with the dealership. Based on an update from the shop foreman, the parts would be replaced today (horns, headlight assembly, ignition switch / assembly).

They are still were unable to diagnose a hissing sound from under the hood when the accelerator is applied. The foreman wanted some more time to look into this because the dealership does not have any other automatic '07 Z4's in their lot to compare with. He indicated that a technician was going to be on site today that he was going to consult with. I am OK with one more day but no more. In my humble opinion, 5 / 6 days should be enough for all diagnosis. If they are unable to find out what the problem is (or rule one out) then I will be taking my vehicle back after the other parts are replaced.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hissing sound. . .

Have they checked for stray animals?! Do you live in snake country?!

:eek:

BimmerBrad

Paradise or Parasite?

Paradise? I thought you lived in SoCal...

vinaysp guest

My dealer experience is now officially my worst experience with ANY kind of service. My vehicle has been in with them for over a week now as they diagnose steering resonance after replacing the lifters and cylinder head. Not only did they take over a week to look into the problem, but they ended up causing paint damage on my vehicle.

Damage 1: My seat faulty belt (does't retract, now replaced by dealer) was hanging outside the door when the service manager slammed the door shut causing the buckle to damage the paint on the inside of the door. The manager says he takes 'some' responsibility, but that I left the seat belt hanging outside the door. he fails to acknowledge that the belt was hanging outside because it was faulty and wasn't retracting.

Damage 2: they ended up damaging (causing a tear) behind the headrest, and while they are taking care of fixing it (at their cost) want to hold my vehicle for another two days.

vinaysp guest

Are they really better than the other dealership in the area?

vinaysp guest

Update

I take delivery of my Z4 today after it being in the shop for over 2 weeks now. I forgot to mention that in addition to the paint damage caused by the dealer, they also managed to damage the canopy and had to replace a section of that as well. I am not optimistic about the vehicle being problem free when I take delivery today, but have decided that I will be switching dealers if I notice even the smalled problem.

<sigh>

shipkiller

These are the posts that make me bite my nails.

I just dropped my MC off at the local dealer for its Inpection 1.

So far they have been very good, but Inspection 1 on a ///M car is different....

Hopfully yours is now 'all better'. It will be at least two days for me to find out.

vinaysp guest

It will take me about 7 - 10 days to fully review everything with my car and post back, but I will DEFINITELY post back. A lot of people on this forum have shown an interest in my situation and offered valuable advice, so I plan to keep this track updated.

STIHLBOLTS guest

Looking forward to see how things turn out.

Best regards

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Huh? What?

Stubby antenna?