Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

le Tour de 328i

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by nochops, Oct 12, 2010.

nochops

I thought I'd post the torturous journey that my new 328i is taking to get to Berkeley, CA. It's ETA at the Preparation Center in Oxnard, CA, according to the dealer, is Oct. 30. I don't think that it has a snowball's chance in Hell of showing up in Oxnard on that date, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Here goes:
    Aug. 5, 2010: Order went in with production scheduled to start Aug. 9
    Sept. 11, 2010: Left Durban, South Africa aboard the Firmament Ace
    Sept. 26, 2010: Overnight in Vigo, Spain
    Sept. 29, 2010: Overnight in Brugge, Belgium
    Sept. 30, 2010: At Home in Bremerhaven, Germany.
    Oct. 3, 2010: Left Bremerhaven for Hamburg
    Oct. 4, 2010: Overnight in Hamburg, Germany
    Oct. 6, 2010: In port at Antwerp, Belgium (finally heading West)
    Oct. 8, 2010: Left Antwerp with destination of Alexandria, Egypt
    Oct. 11, 2010: In the Mediterranean, still heading for Alexandria
    Oct. 15, 2010: In Port Alexandria, Egypt

I'll keep updating this as I find out more info.

granthr

Are you from South Africa? I thought BMWs assembled in S.A. were just for the Continent.

nochops

Hey Grant,
    I'm in Northern California, and from what I have read, most of the new 3 Series for the US Market are assembled in South Africa. I even saw the dealer sheet and they had no assembly slots open in Munich when I ordered my car. Since then a couple have come open for them, but still the majority of production slots are for SA Assembly.

granthr

Wow I did not know that. I know S.A. had been assembling BMWs for decades, as I mentioned, it use to be only for cars staying in Africa. That is pretty cool. :)

nochops

Grant,

My current car, 2004 325i Sedan Sport, was assembled in SA as well. I bought that one CPO so I have no idea how long it took to get here, but this one is taking forever.
    I noticed the chapter. Is that near Penn State? I was a musician for ages, and the best theater pit I ever played in was the one at Penn State.

granthr

Yes I am in State College, home of Penn State. For such a small town there is great art and music available to us. Do you remember where you played?

nochops

We played in the main theater on the campus. It was in October of 1983. I was with San Francisco Opera's Touring group for young singers, and we were doing Butterfly. The accoustics in that pit were the best I have ever experienced.