Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

thinking about freshening engine...suggestions?

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by tjrinaldi, Oct 6, 2010.

tjrinaldi

Hey guys I am thinking the time is nearing....with a 15 year-old //M3 and 220K on the original engine a little valve tick is telling me to freshen things up!!

Everything runs beautifully right now. Maintenance is nearly impeccable. Everything works. My mommy always said if it ain't broke don't fix it....but now as I begin to drive the vehicle harder with daily driving, track time, and longer road trips I wonder how I should go about a partial or full rebuild. Thoughts??

So far I have talked with Pat Kummrow of Kummrow Automotive in Milwaukee. He is great. I am told that perhaps a simple valve job with some porting, VANOS rebuild, and cams is the way to go. Selling my stock '95 cams to offset cost is an option. Then I am aware that going to the 3.2L bottom end with the OBD-I top end is a great way to add power through displacement. Ideas?

My overall budget here is around $4-6K...what would YOU do? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

M3Driver guest

tjrinaldi

I am a good customer with them; I didn't know they or Bimmerworld perhaps may be a good resource....will check into it....with the budget I have though, what would you do?

M3Driver guest

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan in your first post. I'd probably look into exhaust/header set-up of some kind to go along with all that. Super Sprint is a good option.

If it was my car, I'd look to a complete "package" of some kind from the tuner of your choice with parts that have worked together well in the past. "piecemilling" parts together has always been something I never really liked doing.

My .02...:)

SBrasesco

+1 ^^^^what he said...I had a 95 and at 122k I did a Turner Stage 3 kit for the car...cams, valves etc. it is all bundled together...car was even BETTER after I did that and it certainly falls into your budget.
    G/L