Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

128i convertible - HK audio upgrade or not?

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by mattinfll, Sep 30, 2010.

mattinfll guest

Just ordered my 128 vert.. but apparently have about two weeks to tweak my order. Wondering if I should have gone for the HK audio upgrade. I test drove one with and one without, not sure I noticed a difference but was not playing my ipod with my favorite music. There seem to be lots of comments on the web from 1 drivers who wished they upgraded. Thoughts? Thanks!

floydarogers

There are several things going on, here.
    1) BMW decided to save a some money, and started shipping cars with a "base" system that has only 6 speakers (1 each front door, 2 sub-woofers under front seats, 2 in rear deck). That system also makes do with 15 watts per channel from the head unit.
    2) You have to check the specs, as I don't know which models got the "base" stereo by default.
    3) Check out my post in the Audio section on upgrading to the European system for more comments on impressions of the base system.
    4) They added (or changed to) HK as an option mid-range to the Logic 7 system. I have no idea what the lineup is.
    5) Some people want whomping bass and complain for any system.
    6) Don't get the "base" system.

mattinfll guest

Thanks for the advice. I made the decision to go for the HK.

railroader guest

floyd or others, just curious is the HK more-or-less comparable to a factory install Logic 7; or considered less or more? I never saw any chance or option to get an HK during my sign up sessions. However, I am very happy with the Logic 7- it does not buzz or distort (at least to my ears) at higher volumes, but I don't over-crank it since I'm old...plus I don't need/want thumpin' massive bass. Thx guys- and good luck mattfil with your one-er!

floydarogers

I don't know much; however the description on the BMWNA website is very similar to that of the Logic 7 system. It appears to have replaced Logic 7 on the options list.

HK has been a long-time supplier to BMW; my '01 330xi had one by them.

Mike128i guest

Curious, I just purchased a 128i. Sales rep stated they ship all of these cars with HK systems and just label them if you purchase the upgrade. My audio system sounds great, but I have a tin ear.

Zeichen311

:eek:
    I've heard some howlers from/about sales people who haven't bothered to learn anything about the cars they sell, but that's a winner. He's either clueless or trying to make you feel good about the base audio system. Rest assured, the components are different. For one thing, the upgrade has more loudspeakers than the base system--it's pretty tough to pull that off just by applying "harman/kardon" labels.

Mike128i guest

What you're saying makes sense. However I had a 2003 Mini with HK, a 2009 Mini without and now a 128i without. Can't tell the difference. But then again I have a tin ear. However I believe the standard systems are still pretty good. Perhaps not as good as an HK, but good enough for me. Quite often I will turn off the audio and just listen to the vehicle.