Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Which states, statistically speaking, have the worst drivers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bcweir, Sep 28, 2010.

bcweir

ForcedInduction guest

EVERY U.S. state... :(

BMRDRVR

OK, I know, I know, off topic but I can't resist. Technically not a state, but still, there are 535 people driving off the road in Washington D.C. What a wreck!

Pyewacket1

M3Driver guest

Yeah, next time he really needs to use a driver.

dms540i

It doesn't surprise me. Those people that do that hand waving gesture, the one that says "come on out from waiting at that stop sign, it's ok, cut in front of me while I block all the rest of the cars" while the traffic is wizzing by from behind on the right. There are concentrations of them in CT, MA & RI. And when they do this it makes them feel good and "courteous", (even though they are risking getting rammed from behind or t-boning the victim who comes out from that stop sign) so good in fact some of them keep track and feel they can cut off the same number of drivers later the same day. And the ones who swerve in the opposite direction before they make their turn. And gabbing on the phone constantly. And speeding, tailgating, like I said I am not surprised.

CRKrieger

Nor me. I lived in Connecticut briefly in the early '80s and there is no indication things have changed. The truly dreadful driving in Connecticut is a very big reason I decided not to stay. If you want to get rich in Connecticut (as opposed to starting out rich in NYC and buying a place in CT), open a body shop.

Autohaus guest

I'm surprised that FL is the 14th lowest. I was just in MIA for a week "on business" :) and I was kindly welcomed by the drivers around south beach :rolleyes:

alstroberg guest

seems like..

it has a lot to do with population density. More targets, it's easier to hit something.

Mike128i guest

The answer may surprise you.

By the way, the states are ranked from least number of crashes to the most. So number 50 is actually the state with greatest number of bad drivers per capita (xx out of every 50 drivers)

Living in Connecticut I'm not surprised we are in the No. 50 spot. The roads are horrible. I-95 is more a regional highway than an Interstate. The exits and entrances on the Merrit (RT 15) are out of the 1930's. No one pays any attention to the "No Turn on Red" signs. Running red lights is a major past time. The volume of traffic is way beyond the capacity of the roads. The I-91/I-95 intersection is the worst in the nation. Mass transit is difficult to implement in a state that is basically one big suburb. Trains are only good if you are going to NYC. Could continue, but what's the point.

CRKrieger

Yeah; I agree it's more than mere population density. It's attitude and actions that are different. Connecticut (and MA and RI) drivers simply have less regard for law and for other drivers. It may be that the population density causes this, but it's far from the one simple answer.

Zeichen311

Reminds me of a little gem I first heard way back in college: "New York drivers don't care if they die; Boston drivers don't care if they kill you." :rolleyes: Harsh, mebbe, but it does sort of sum up the differences in style....

(Full disclosure: I live in the greater NYC area and the person who told me that maxim was a Boston-area native.. :))

Driving in the NYC burbs of CT and RI is definitely on the hyper side of reality, but the information on the website indicates that they are the safest states to drive in. In my humble opinion, the presented statistics have more to do with the speed of the crash (open roads = higher speeds) and elapsed time between the crash/arrival of EMT's/arrival at the hospital. In both cases, a rural sitting is a disadvantage.

BTW, I speak as one of those people that has chosen to live in the middle of nowhere.

eam3

I agree. I have not seen driving anywhere in the US that compares to the horrors of south Florida. I hate driving to Miami but thankfully that now has become a once a month thing, if that.

dms540i

It's not the Merrit Parkway or any other bad road or intersection. We all have to deal with infrastructure issues and suburban sprawl. It's ignorance and arrogance, combined. Right of way issues are misunderstood and the classic I'm important - you're not philosophy, that's why I have to be in front of you, on my phone, and making illegal turns . . . . Big clusters of this in CT/RI/MA. Pay attention if you have to drive here. They are unbelievable!

Autohaus guest

I once read on a auto magazine that a driver witnessed a car trying to pass traffic illegally on the shoulder while another car was attempting to pass that car while driving on the grass :confused:.

I stayed in the Kendall area right on Lake Galloway which is very pleasant. However, US1, the Palmetto and 836 (Don Shula Expressway I think) are for the birds.

The Merritt is bad? It's my preferred route!

Mike128i guest

The Merritt itself is a very pretty highway. The sweeping turns in the southern section and on the Hutch in NY are great fun in a Bimmer or my wife's Mini. However this road was one of the first divided highways in the country. Many of the entrances have stop signs making it difficult to merge with the oncoming traffic. For some exits a tap on the brakes is necessay while still on the highway or you are going to need all the DSC you car can muster. While a few entrances and exits have been upgraded, most are not. If you are just passing through enjoy the truck-free ride, otherwise local knowledge, especially in the winter, is helpful. I have gone agricultural a couple of times a couple of times on exits in the winter when the road was pretty good, but the off-ramp still slick. Fortunately there were no guard rails just a lot of grass.

Mike128i guest

Yep, went to school in Boston. Driving on Rt 3 was always an adventure.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Which state has the worst drivers?

Easy: The state NEXT to yours!