Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

83 Euro headlight relays

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by TeamStowell, Sep 28, 2010.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Can anyone tell me where the headlight relays are for an 83 635 Euro? Thank you.

John in VA

CRKrieger

Why would they be anywhere other than where they for any E24 (or E28)? Look in the fusebox.

You would think so. I ran the lights and pulled all the relays in the fuse box, but removing them did not kill the lights so they must be hiding somewhere else.

John in VA

Do you have relays hanging off or around the fuse box that you haven't tried?

CRKrieger

I wonder if somebody 'federalized' it. In that case, good luck!

I have pulled all visible relays. My fear is the ones I need are hidden in New Jersey somewhere (no offense meant New Jersey Chapter members....I might need your help looking for them) and rather inaccessible. Someone suggested checking the grounds also. I'll give that a shot.

According to your "Owners" Betriebsanleitung (pp 5-18) they're supposed to be:
    Fuse 1 = 7.5A, Fernlicht links Relais K3 (high beam left Relay K3)
    Fuse 2 = 7.5A, Fernlicht rechts Relais K3 (high beam right Relay K3)
    Fuse 13 = 7.5A Abblendlicht links Relais K4 (low beam left Relay K4)
    Fuse 14 = 7.5A Abblendlicht rechts Relais K4 (low beam right Relay K4)
    Relay numbers are identified on the top of the fuse box. That's where they are on my 83 Euro E24
    I think this is the same as the American versions and probably across years. If this isn't the case, then someone has dramatically and unnecessarily changed things. One thing you can do to find them is have someone sit in the drivers seat and switch on and off the lights (low and high) and you can feel the relay toggle if you touch it. They're often a little difficult to pull. If they're not in the fuse box, then you're on your own. Try tracing the leads back from the lights themselves. Good luck.
    John Gilbert
    GG chapter