Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E12 M533i Prototypes

Discussion in 'E12 (1975-1981)' started by emaassen, Apr 16, 2008.

emaassen guest

I am hopeful that we can compile on this thread as much informatoin as possible on the famed 200 E12 M533i Prototypes that preceeded the E12 M535i. I was able to find more information on the web about a year ago as compared to what appears now. First Five Fans, please help.

Erik

alotawatts

Erik,
    I have made a post requesting 533i info in the Firstfives.org forum. Please join us if you have not already.
    Carl / Seattle

I can't even pronounce it !
    Bayerische Motoren Werke
    81 E12 528i 5spd Arctic blue Restore project
    81 E12 528i 5spd Kaschmir gold
    79 E12 528i 4spd Sierra beige
    63 R27/2 Einzylinder Sweetheart
    [IMG][IMG]

southernboy

Hey Erik,
    What kind of information are you looking for? I have an early M model (75 M530i) and have collected a bit of information on these cars. Is there anything specifically that you're looking for?
    Kevin

southernboy

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but if so I thought that I would post a little bit of information (in German) on the E12 533i which were built by BMW Motorsport in the late 70's. This article was published in the German magazine "Sport Auto" in September 1976. If there is any interest, I have more, so just let me know.

Hope you enjoy,
    Kevin

emaassen guest

Thanks for the the Auto and Sport article. Now I know where the side view photo I have came from, and I glad to see Hans Stuck was involved.

I found some engine specs at http://www.ultimatespecs.com/index.php?brand=11&model=312&car=1402&option=4 which may have come fromt the article

Designation: M69
    Displacement: 3210 cm^3
    Bore & Stroke: 89 x 86 mm
    Compression Ratio: 9.0
    Peak HP: 200 hp @ 5500 rpm
    Peak Torque: 213 ft-lbs @ 4250

southernboy

Hey Erik,

If you like, I can mail you a few other articles I have from the M533i. I wanted to upload them for everybody, but they seem to be too large for the server.

If anyone can tell me how to upload larger PDF files, I'm all ears.

Kevin

alotawatts

southernboy

Hey alotawatts,
    I finally figured out how to get those PDFs to a managable size.
    Attached is an article from the French magazine Echappement. From my experience, this seems to be the way that most of these cars were equipped back then.

southernboy

Here is the other French article. You'll notice that it's the same car as in the one before. It must have made its rounds in the press fleet back then.

southernboy

Well it certainly looks like the prices for early M cars are starting to take off here in Europe. This M533i just came up for sale recently on a German internet page. If anyone is looking for an early M car, this maybe be the one for you. If you have deep pockets...:D

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=vyc3sqjm1d2t

granthr

Wow, That is a beautiful car! It is expensive, but I think the price is about right. I have a similar front spoiler on my 84 318i, it is made by BBS. If fact if you look closely at the one picture of the 533i, it looks like there is a BBS logo on the spoiler, just under the pass side fog light. Hard to tell for sure though.

I don't know where mine came from b/c it came with the car when I bought it.

GR

southernboy

Found another one...

Well guys, they are still out there. My friend of just picked up one of the last small tail light Motorsport cars that was build (a July 1976 M533i). It'll be a lot of work to restore it, but once it's done, it should be quite entertaining to drive.

CSBM5

Encourage him to document the restoration on-line. Perhaps at firstfives or maybe even mye28.com (which is much more active and includes a lot of the same community).

e12m535i guest

M535i owners in the US?

Hi - I am new to the club today. I am currently on assignment in Europe and will be bringing home an E12 M535i I have just purchased here (photo attached). Are there any M535i owners in the US interested in making contact?

CSBM5

You might want to try www.mye28.com and www.firstfives.org. Car looks great! I'd love to have a nice E12 M535i.:):)

CRKrieger

I know that two owners in MyE28.com would be happy to correspond with you. Go there and run a search for Adam Wilson and Chris Kohler. They each put in daily appearances; in fact, Chris is our most prolific post whore. [I'm third and Adam is Top Twenty, if not Top Ten.]