Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Trivia question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lcjhnsn, Sep 22, 2010.

lcjhnsn

I had read somewhere that the "e" associated with traditional BMW Chassis designations (e9, e21, e34, etc.) represented the German word entwicklung which translates to something like "development".

So, now that BMW has exceeded the e99 designation and moved on to the new f codes, have they abandoned the "development" designation and just moved on to the next sequential letter of the alphabet or is there a German f word to go along with the new designation???

az3579

The only thing I can think of is "FUCH this, we give up! Move to F!" :D

CRKrieger

That pretty much sums it up. 'E' did, indeed, stand for 'Entwicklungsnummer' ('project number' - Germans have a habit of combining words to make a new one to suit the application). I have no idea what 'F' might be except (with apologies to Julie Andrews) 'a note to follow E'.

Deutsch Marques

I could have sworn I remember reading what the F meant in one of my auto mags. I don't remember which one, which issue, or what they said. Hmmm... I just posted a completely useless post.

BMRDRVR

I'm going with "fahrt," a derivative of "fahren," which loosely translated in German means "to drive." You already know what it means in English.