Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Observations on Diesel prices (Seattle)

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by floydarogers, Sep 17, 2010.

floydarogers

I've had my 335d for about 11 months, now; 16K miles, one service, SEL on once for an injector out of calibration. I'm probably averaging 30-31mpg in mixed-urban/freeway driving. Highest sustained mileage was in the 36+ range coming back from Portland. Usually get 34-35 highway - roads are hilly here in WA State.

Thought I'd mention a peculiar situation regarding diesel fuel prices. I usually fuel up in Renton or Issaquah. Shell stations, believe it or not, usually have the lowest diesel prices (the CENEX/Grange Supply has the cheapest, but there's only one locally that I'm near.) However, *WHICH* Shell (or other station) matters a great deal.

As in most metro areas, gasoline/diesel prices are set on a per neighborhood/station basis. For gasoline, the prices are driven by the price and re-fill rate of the tank that holds regular, which means that they vary a lot, tracking worldwide oil prices. The prices of mid-grade and premium seem to always be set relative to the price of regular. HOWEVER, stations appear to reset the price of diesel only whenever they re-fill that tank! I've noticed that most stations seem to be stable in diesel prices for about a month, then they change.

You can really play the game of chasing the best price with a good deal of success if you own a diesel. IME, Two Shell stations 5 miles apart have varied by up to $0.20, which means a $2-$3 savings; easily worth driving those five miles. I filled up yesterday for $3.19 when every other station was $3.29 or more. Yeah, it was only $1.50, but still:)

ForcedInduction guest

If you have the time... shopping/chasing fuel prices gives you something to do. ;) IME industry cabals, aka monopolies are an exploitation of consumers supported by bought and paid for criminal politicians.

floydarogers

I drive around enough in the normal course of events to go by all the "good" stations; I don't drive around looking for the lowest price since I already know where it is.