Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Continental Extreme Contact Tires

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by mkgoodman, Sep 11, 2010.

mkgoodman

Has anyone put Continental Extreme Contact DW or DWS Tires on their E92 or E93? I have just reached 13K miles on my E93 and the Sport Pilots are not looking good. I like the Tire Rack Ratings of the tire

dave335

We have newly installed DWS on my mom's Jetta and they are phenomenal. A little soft but ride really quiet. The tread life is supposed to be really good as well. They are one of TireRack's best sellers.

clcromartie guest

I currently have the DW's on my 335, and i am very impressed. They are comfortable, very responsive, and very stable in the corners. I can't speak for the treadwear because i don't know how.many miles had been put on them when i bought the vehicle, but other than that im very happy with them. I will be replacing them with the DWS.

alstroberg guest

agree with the DWS++

Only a few thousand miles on the 245 17 45 DWS on my Saab 9-5. My biggest issue has been noisy, lumpy tires but these are the quietest of the bunch so far. Steering response is fine, I rarely test ultimate adhesion in either stopping or cornering. I'd buy these again for the Saab and for for my 650i when the time comes to replace the factory run-flats.

SuperBimmer guest

I had the DW's on my e36 and I loved them. Good tread wear, quite, and performed well. No complaints on my end.

Poleposition

I have these tires on my 2011 E93 M3. They are fantastic thus far. In my opinion, they perform just as well as the PS2's for much less money. You wont be disappointed. 3k miles and counting.

monaco07328XI

I just put a set of these on my 2007 328 XI, the first thing I noticed was how much quiter they are than the run flats they replaced. I am a little unsure of the correct inflation pressure, the installer inflated to 32 PSI. I do not know if this is correct does any one have suggestions on what the correct pressure should be? The tire size is 225/40/18 on front and 255/35/18 on rear.

I changed wheels to the style 189 wheels at the same time. Bought used wheels on ebay and refinished. Picture below if interested.

tiFreak

the correct pressure should be listed on a sticker in the drivers door jamb

bcweir

The correct inflation pressure is always indicated on the sidewall of the tire.

Minimum, maximum, and recommended inflation pressures should be indicated.

monaco07328XI

My car came with 225/40/17 run flats, was thinking that the pressure on the door was for those tires and may not be correct for the larger, lower profile non-runflats I have installed.

monaco07328XI

The only info on the sidewall is 51PSI max. Seems high and will get back the bone jarring ride of the run flats.

bcweir

Information on the door jamb is for OE spec tires only

If you see only a max air pressure rating on the tires, you should be OK somewhere between 10 psi under max pressure and max. You might have to experiment a little to find what's best for you in terms of handling and comfort. I usually go for 5 to 10 psi under max pressure.

Make sure all tires have the same amount of air pressure.

mkgoodman

Extreme Contact Tires

I have now had the tires on my E93 for several weeks and they perform as well if not better than the Sport Pilot 2's they replaced. When the front PS2's wear down enough, I will put the extreme contacts all around.

tiFreak

I've seen some of the premature tire wear caused by people inflating their tires incorrectly, you really have to go by the pressure recommended by the car manufacturer, it might also be in the owners manual

bcweir

Premature tire wear isn't always due to improper inflation

Improper camber settings as well as worn suspension components can also cause uneven or premature tire wear.

Different tires are going to vary in an infinite number of ways, and there's no way for a car manufacturer to anticipate all the possible different permutations or combinations of wheel sizes and types as well as tire varieties and sizes.

Chances are, the tire manufacturer has probably tested the tire thoroughly on vehicles similar to the ones you would be fitting on your own car. A tire manufacturer's specifications are not always going to jibe with the OE spec on the door jamb.

In a coin toss, I'm going to make the crazy presumption that a tire company knows a little something about their own product that car manufacturers can't possibly be expected to pre-anticipate.

floydarogers

I agree - start with the doorjamb's specs, then experiment from there.
    The sidewall only carries the Max pressure: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=21

And BMW generally recommends different inflation pressures front/rear for proper handling and wear, even with non-staggared wheels. This was certainly true even on my E46 330xi.

Zeichen311

The owner's manual includes an extensive table of recommended tire pressures for every tire/wheel combination available from the factory. (Does no one ever read these things? :confused:;)) If you can't find your replacements in the table, you will have to make trial-and-error adjustments. Find a close match by size and load rating and use that as a start, but accept that you will probably experience somewhat accelerated wear on the first set of tires while you figure out the correct pressures.

Download the owner's manual from bmwusa.com if you don't have the printed copy.

rbindc

Recommended tire pressures are listed in the Owner's Manual, which you can download it from the BMWNA website. The table shows recommended pressures for a wide variety of conditions, e.g., model, sport or non-sport package, maximum speed anticipated, wheel size, etc. If you're an auto geek this is the place to look.

tclark guest

Per page 120 of the 2007 3 Series Owner's Manual (available at bmwusa.com) the recommended cold inflation pressure for the 328xi & tire sizes you have:
    Without Sports package:
    • speeds up to 100 mph: 32 psi front, 33 psi rear
    • speeds > 100 mph: 32 psi front & rear
    • speeds > 100 mph & max weight: 35 psi front, 38 psi rear

With Sports package:
    • speeds up to 100 mph: 32 psi front, 33 psi rear
    • speeds > 100 mph: 35 psi front & rear
    • speeds > 100 mph & max weight: 39 psi front, 41 psi rear

BMW's done their research :cool:

monaco07328XI

Inflation Pressure

Thanks for all of the input on the inflation pressure question, The installer inflated to 32 PSI, I have taken them to 35 PSI based on the info in the owners manual. Not sure if there is a noticable differance or not, but it does seems to feel a little better when pushing it hard in corners.