Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Mass Airflow Sensor

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by bluewagon, Sep 10, 2010.

bluewagon

How many of you E46 owners have changed your Mass Airflow sensor??
    In the last 3 months I have changed just about every other sensor .
    all 4 O2 sensors, both cam sensors, lower radiator hose sensor, crank case breather valve,Water pump and hoses, expansion tank. All that is left is the Mass Airflow sensor.
    03 325it
    bluewagon

Zeichen311

As a preventive measure? Never.
    When it failed? Yes. The OE unit lasted well over a hundred thousand miles. Two of the replacements barely made it out of their teens.

Don't change it until it dies. If it isn't throwing codes in the DME it is not affecting economy, driveability nor performance. Messing with it can provoke failure (the sensor itself is a rather fragile, heated wire), and when it does fail it does not have strand-you-on-the-highway, death-to-your-engine consequences. The engine will just run like crap until you fix it.

bluewagon

Mass Air Sensor

My Mass Air sensor was throwing codes, but the car was running (what I thought) was good. Yesterday I changed it. Now the car is running real good. Mileage is getting better. and the car is much more responsive. The car has 101000 miles. I hope the replacement lasts as long. it is an exact replacement. Not cheep.
    bluewagon

Zeichen311

If you bought a genuine BMW part from a BMW center, it is covered by the parts warranty even if you installed it yourself. I believe that coverage is either 12 or 24 months, with unlimited mileage in that period. (Keep your invoice.) Aftermarket vendors are probably not as generous. Either way, here's hoping you don't need to replace the replacement! :)