Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wheels for 2008 535i

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by rsojkowski, Sep 10, 2010.

rsojkowski guest

I just traded in my 99 540i for a 2008 535i. The dealer told me that the 16" rims for my snows would fit ( they are Borbet). The 535i does not have sport suspension. I tried them over the weekend, and i don't see how they will fit. I am aware of the hub size difference, but there isn't clearance for the caliper. The Manual notes a 16" rim size for the 535i, but not for and of the other 5 Series cars, which doesn't make sense to me.
    Two questions, will a 16" rim fit?

What rims will fit from other models? for example will 18" rims off a 2006 650i fit? ( i now someone with these for sale)
    Any input will be appreciated as i new to the forum
    Thanks

CRKrieger

It may be that the BMW wheels have a different inside contour than the Borbets, leaving you with interference from the aftermarket wheel but not from the OEM 16" wheel. Clearly, the dealer and BMW information would pertain to only their wheels, not ALL wheels.

It either fits or it doesn't. If you tried and it doesn't, then the solution is obvious. Find a wheel that's bigger inside than the Borbet. I would expect that a wheel nominally 2" bigger would be no problem clearing the brake, but it may not clear other things. FWIW, most 5-bolt BMW wheels are interchangeable on the bolt circle (5x120mm). What matters for your application is (as you already know) brake clearance, width, and offset (for tire-body-suspension clearance).

Satch SoSoCalifortified

What fits the 335i?

It seems to me that when I bought wheels to put snows on the 335i, the Tire Rack sold me seventeens. . . and I had to mount them up to convince myself that they would clear the calipers. Which they do---barely. In fact, one wheel has some interesting force-fit scrapes that look like it custom-fitted itself around the caliper.

Sixteens? Oh my god no. :eek: