Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Internal power ports

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by riskybz, Sep 5, 2010.

riskybz

Just bought a 2011 335d (first BMW) and like ALMOST everything about the car. I do have one minor issue: Why do the internal power ports shut off when the engine is off? I have been used to charging my phone and other stuff when the car is not running. Any way this can be changed?
    Other than this minor issue, I am really, really impressed withe the diesel. I have owned Audi, Lexus and Mercedes products and this is by far the best engineered car I have owned.

tiFreak

are there more than one and have you tried them all? usually at least one of them is constantly on, at least in my experience

riskybz

Only have two, both are inactive when the engine is off.
    Has anyone found a fix for this??

345861 guest

My Audi R8 sockets were switched too. Great socket in the front trunk for a battery charger but had to connect directly to the battery. Manufacturers do this to prevent the battery from running down if you happen to leave something running (like a 12V electric cooler).

sundevilruss

riskybz,
    It's not just your 335d. My 328i also 'turns off' the outlets when the car is not running (even when the key fob is in the ignition receptacle). A minor annoyance IMO.

mattsmith335i guest

Battery Suction

They probably shut down due to the draw the car puts on the battery when it is shut off. I don't drive mine enough and as such have to have a trickle charger attached when not driving. My battery on my 528i went after 2.5 years with only 9K mikes on it.
    If you are someone who drives alot then you don't have to worry, but with my 2011 335i, it goes on the trickle as soon as it goes in the garage. I was told that 4 CPU's run on the 528i and the 335i is just as much a power hog. Thats why they are using 850-900 amp batteries.

jeinloes

Power ports don't work

Just recently bought a certified 2007, 328xi. Everything is fine, but when I went to plug in my radar detector, it doesn't work in either port (engine was running). Tried the cigarette lighter and it doesn't work. Is there a fuse that controls these ports only? Any other issue that might affect them?

Thanks

tiFreak

could be a fuse, I'd find out from the dealer if that's something they were supposed to check to certify the car, might be able to get it fixed for free which would be a good thing if there was something else wrong with it