Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Clean Windows

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by ltir, Apr 15, 2008.

ltir guest

Can anyone recommend a proven product/homemade concoction that unlike Windex, truly cleans windows without leaving any streaks? Thanks.

Kurt Helm

I've been using the window cleaner from Griots Garage on my windows and it works great. I use microfiber towels as well.

niemibl guest

I also use the Window Cleaner from Griot's Garage. I wash the windows with the car in the shade and use two cloths, one to apply and clean the window and a second cloth to wipe the window immediately after cleaning it.

M3Driver guest

Another vote for Griot's Garage Window Cleaner....

bobver

And another vote for Griot's. I use it with a microfiber towel. I've used many cleaners and am most satisfied with Griot's.

Musikpro guest

Two towel method!

I definitely recommend the two towel method (microfiber of course), I usually soak one towel with the cleaning product wipe down the window and then with a dry towel immediately dry it off... no streaks, even if windows fog up. And doing this in the shade makes it a lot easier.

ltir guest

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. You guys made it real easy for me as on the whole everyone recommends:

· Griot's Garage Window Cleaner
    · Using 2 microfiber towels (1 for applying and 1 for drying)
    · Working in the shade

EuroWerkz1

:) Wow, see, even a "Guru" can learn something. The 2 towel method is great, thanks But with Zymol, since I am a dealer.

BMWCCA1

I've used them all but have found none better than the AutoSport Haze-Free Glass Cleaner. The specs say: "Contains no ammonia, perfumes or dyes." I'm lucky because the manufacturer, International Auto Parts, is local to me, but I know many discriminating owners who pay to have it shipped and also swear by it. I've met the company owner and know his background is in chemical engineering, though his Fiat and Alfa parts company has been in business for as long as I've owned BMWs (37 years). You've probably seen their ads in in-flight magazines.

Your mileage may vary, as they say, but I promise if you get a chance to try this product it'll make you happy. And I'm not a dealer nor do I have any affiliation with the company other than as a happy customer. I'm also a convert to their other car-car products such as waxes, cleaners, leather-care, etc. It's probably not cheaper, it's just better!

jesimmons guest

My experience is Windex and other houshold glass cleaners all contain ammonia and other surfactants - they simply all streak. Several deatiling sites sell Sprayway ammonia free glass cleaner and recommend it as the best. I tried it and liked it a lot. Best glass cleaner I ever used. But rather than pay $3+ a can for it at a detailer, I found it in bulk at Sam's Club: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=196917

They had it at my local Sam's - 4 cans for about $7.50

Give it a try.

wb488641 guest

i like the old trick, ammonia and h20 mixed in a spray bottle, and good old newspaper for wiping clean. Cheap and easy to use. Also very clean without streak.
    the newspaper is great on windshield with bug and tar. Rubbed it right off.

swallach

Sprayway ammonia free glass cleaner ...I also have had great experience with this product..I have been using it for years..

Bimmerdan

I agree! I have no idea why it works so well but newspaper is the absolute best! If there are hard water spots on the glass, try vinegar and newspaper. Don't laugh! Try it!

DRL219 guest

I like to use the RainX Glass Cleaner Wipes. It cleans the glass great and has anti-fog. Cleans the glass great makes it seem that it is not even there.

MPHCPA

I tried it and like it better than Girots which I have been using for the past year

news paper

I have used many types of cleaner and different cloth cleaners and still get some streaks.Try using newspaper to eliminate streaks works great for me, with any glass cleaner.Caution when doing interior glass avoid ink transfere on trim around windows.

MPHCPA

The only problem with newspaper is I now have to subscribe to a newspaper as I view everything on the web. LOL

recycle bin

Check your neighbors recycle bin for newspapers.

MPHCPA

Great idea!

Thanks

Kaacey guest

If you don't want to do a mail order (ie Griots) - You can use STONER INVISIBLE GLASS. You can purchase this product at most Auto Parts stores.