Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E-30 Trunk Liner

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Zdaneman, Aug 29, 2010.

Zdaneman

Well after several weeks of trying to sync up our schedules John in VA and I had the opportunity to link up on Saturday. It was a pleasure meeting him and talking BMWs, we must have chatted fro over an hour.

Anywho, after several discussions on the board about trunk liners, I now have one installed. Not sure if its correct (see photos). The liner has positons for 12 clips (same as door liner clips) and two smaller holes for the tool kit screws. Upon installing the liner, I could not figure out how to install it and keep the tool kit functional (aka allowing it to drop down upon opening it). The only way to keep the tool kit functional and allow it to fit into the liner was to install it with the two philips screws showing.

HOT TIP! By the way screwing in the clips is a royal pain in the arse. However, I figured out a trick/tip which I'm sure the factory guys never used. Screwing in the clips becomes really easy if you apply a very small amount of lube. I used virgin olive oil since I did not want to use anything with a petroleum base. It was pretty simple screwing them into place one they had a little lube. I also used a clean garage rag to increase my grip on the clips. If you use pliers you will simply crush the clips.

My fingers are still tender!

I hope this is correct. What do you think?

Zdaneman sends

John in VA

Looks great! That's the way the E28 liner works - toolkit and screws are outside the liner's edge. I would have thought the hinge might fit under the liner, with the kit outside, but you obviously ran into interference. Well done!

Zdaneman

Correct

John,

Your correct the hinge on the bottom of the tool kit is under the liner. I also want to install another light in the open slot. Added trunk light is a great idea, even thought it might not be factory correct!

Zdaneman sends

John in VA

I don't know if Euro or UK cars have the trunk light on the right side vs. left, but it was easy to find an add'l light and some wiring, and double the illumination. No concours points were harmed in this conversion!
    Let me know if you're interested in the storage bin that fits atop the battery cover before I put it in an E30 forum classifieds. Then you'd need the warning triangle and first aid kit to outfit it.

Zdaneman

Storage Bin

I like the bin, hold it and I'll aquire it during the chapterfest.

jeanm guest

I bought the same thing for mine and after a couple months of CA summer the vinyl came off the cardboard lol. I am going to use it as a template to make a black one instead....