Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

You MUST bring this with you...

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2010' started by GSMetal, Aug 18, 2010.

GSMetal

The mosquitoes are vicious this year due to all the rain we had.

Make sure you bring repellent with you. And bring the heavy duty stuff not the wimpy "Skin So Soft" girly spray - it does no good.

I would also recommend some liquid benadryl so if you get stung the itching doesn't drive you crazy.
    • Staff

steven s

I have 4 bottles of 100% DEET, 3 coils you wear and some kind of battery operated gizmo.

GSMetal

Well that should work for a few hours.:D

ForcedInduction guest

Everybody start their engine and allow the car to idle for five minutes. That should kill a few bazillion sqeaters...

mikeura

Great idea - maybe we can get Mike Self to round up (square ones as well) the 2002's and set up a perimeter!

CRKrieger

That may be the reason there are hardly any at the track - ever. I've been going there for about 20 years and I can't remember the last time I got a mosquito bite while there. Everywhere else though - they're carrying off pets and small children ... :eek:

ForcedInduction guest

Sqeaters can't out run a BMW on the street or track... ;)

Brian A

More is not necessarily better for bug spray; 28% DEET content is fine; best dispersed from a pump spritzer bottle to ensure uniformity of application. 100% DEET is nasty stuff. It melts plastic such as sunglasses.

The real strategic mosquito avoidance technique is to maintain a lower body temperature and to breath less than the people around you.

Zeichen311

+1. Like the hiker's adage: You don't need to run faster than a bear, you only need to run faster than at least one of your buddies.... :D

granthr

Eating lots of garlic before hand helps too. It comes out of your pores and they don't like, and neither will the people talking to you!! :D So if you don't mind people avoiding you it is a great solution.

CRKrieger

I know you'd like to think it's the garlic ... but it's not. :p

Brian A

VAMPIRES don't like garlic; not MOSQUITOS!!! I doubt there are vampires in Wisconsin.

Zeichen311

No vampires?
    No monstrous creatures that want to drain your blood to produce more of their own kind?
    How is that not a mosquito? :eek: :D

CRKrieger

Could be lawyers.

Wait - WHAT? :eek:

03BeastCharmer

For the locals......Is the weather map I see accurate in saying that Elkhart Lake is going to be highs of about 84 and lows of about 63 next week? Trying to confirm if I should be packing jeans only and maybe one pair of shorts if it's not going to get into the mid 80's. Anything is better than the 97 in Houston right now!!

ForcedInduction guest

97 F in TX is jacket weather, right? ;)

03BeastCharmer

It's get to work early and stay late so you don't realize it's 97. At least it's not triple digits :rolleyes:

GSMetal

I doubt you'll need jeans - bring shorts or some light pants. I like the pants where the legs zip off so they turn into shorts.

Light cotten shirts and a sweatshirt jacket and you're all set. We do have stores here so if you need something just buy it.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Stores? You got stores?

Having been on the road since before the Monterey Hysterics, and being restricted to the storage capacity of a Z4, I am not as concerned with finding a STORE as I am with finding a DRY CLEANERS.

Somehow I know that word should have an apostrophe, but I can't figure out where it would go. . . .

Brian A

Dry's Cleaner.