Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Was Suggested by Another forum member

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by SBrasesco, Aug 18, 2010.

SBrasesco

It was suggested I post this here as I mistakenly posted it in the E3 section....I have in Italy a 71 2000tii that I am contemplating bringing back to the states....car needs a complete restoration. It has been literally sitting in a barn for 20 years...attached are some pics.
    any ideas??..don't know where to start with this....
    Many Thanks

14th BMW '16 Z4 35is

1,922 2000tii cars were built...

According to Wiki:

Finally, the 2000tii ('touring international, injected') was BMW's first fuel-injected model, featuring a higher-compression 2.0L engine and Kugelfischer brand mechanical fuel injection that later found its way into the 2002 Turbo and other models. 1,922 2000tii cars were built of this final New Class sedan model.

I wouldn't know where to start either (there are several very nice web sites in English and German that discuss in some detail how to go about restoring a classic car), but for the sake of the history of BMWs, I sure hope you are able to restore this classic so that others can appreciate just how special the BMWs of the mid-60's through the early 70's were. Most bimmerheads have seen a 2002, but they've never seen the gorgeous 1800s, 2000s, 2000CS, etc. Best of luck...

Freude am Fahren (und Auto Restaurieren)...

John in VA

You don't say where you are located, and if you have plans to restore it yourself or will be looking for a quality shop.
    You will have an easier time finding replacement body parts (trunk lid, hood, doors) and other hard to find bits in Europe, if they are needed. Ship them over along with the car.

CRKrieger

Well, the 'tii was, as with many BMWs of the period, an 'off-the-shelf' parts special, so there's not a lot other than the badging that's unique to it. The doors, glass, and main rear bodyshell are the same as any other Neue Klasse sedan, from the 1500 on up. I think the nose body parts are even interchangeable with the '02 series. Even I have some stuff like that lying around. The rare pieces (the lamps and grilles) are in the photos and they all look good.

The drivetrain is also relatively mundane, available in all the old 4-cylinder BMWs. If you don't insist on the original block or gearbox, there are thousands of M10 powerplants around, except for the Kugelfischer injection system. Rebuilding these is an excruciatingly expensive proposition, but you pretty much have to do it. If you have the desire to do it - and you can do some of the work yourself - I think you could easily bring it in under $25k. Whether the car would have a market value that high at that time is doubtful, so don't do it if this is purely an investment. Do it because you want to drive and enjoy the finished project.

SBrasesco

Thanks

Thank you for the replies....I am in NY and the car is in Parma.
    This would be a labor of love and nothing else....I am not deluding myself into thinking I have a auction beauty.
    This is the fuel injected version and the engine bay looked bad.....fortunately the rust is not as bad as one would think on a vehicle stored this long.
    as far as restoring it in Italy...that is not really an option as I prefer to be as close to the car as possible for an potential issues....there is no time table...and my budget is 25k....this is something I want to pass down to my kids.
    A friend of mine suggested Korman in the Carolinas....they had done some work on my 89 E30 once and I was happy with them.....in the Roundel there is an outfit called the WerkShop....but they seem to work on concours cars...
    will keep you posted...right now I am arranging for the car to be shipped to me.
    Regards

John in VA

As you are in NY, you should consider Matt McGinn & his crew in CT:
    http://sports-car-restoration.com/

Or Mario Langsten in NH:
    http://www.vsr1.com/

The most recent work I've seen from Korman (a 2002) was nothing to be proud of. The WerkShop will blow your budget away, but the work is exceptional.

SBrasesco

thanks will look into the CT outfit first.

Mike Miller

This is a very rare car and it appears to be painted Florida, which is a very rare color. However, it is a four-door sedan -- from a return-on-investment standpoint, you'd be better off restoring a 2002tii. But don't let that discourage you if you really want to restore the car.

However, if it's rusty and you're going to pay a professional restoration shop I'd recommend doubling your budget.

SBrasesco

OUCH!...double my budget??....as far as return on my investment...I was not doing this to turn a profit at a later date...as I mentioned at the outset this is a labor of love...but again 50k was not something I entertained in the least.
    With that said...an update....the car was removed from where it was and now is in a proper garage....getting it out was a PITA!!.....or so I was told as I did not witness this.
    I am going back again in the spring and I will really give it the once over now...I will take plenty of pictures especially the rust areas....
    as far as the block is concerned....while I would love to keep the original motor...I do not know what shape it is in and I am not a stickler for matching#'s on this project....maybe drop in a 535is motor???...lol
    at any rate thanks for the response Mike!
    Regards
    S

BMWCCA1

Sure looks like moldy Chamonix to me, just like the one in my driveway.

There's no way the 2000tii shouldn't be worth just as much as a 2002tii when restored, on rarity alone. Those are all later neu range cars with the updated dash. The build quality it so much better than the '02s of the same era you won't believe it. From the thickness of the sheetmetal to the simple stuff left off the '02s to save pennies like low-fuel light and doors you can lock and close by holding on the handle button, for instance.

Great cars and it shouldn't cost you fifty-grand to have a nice drivable example. From what I can see it doesn't look that bad and the mechanicals are a cheap fix.