Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Spare Tire?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by lkchris, Aug 13, 2010.

lkchris

Haven't "inspected" a new E90 yet ... could a spare tire of some sort be fitted should nonrunflat tires be fitted? Thinking sedan, i.e. 335d.

richmalk

floydarogers

Check out the first posts of "The Road Warrior" onhttp://www.thelonghighway.com/wp/2009/11/, he bought a spare tire and jack for his 335d.

There is absolutely no room for the spare except in the trunk - the Ammonia tank is where the wheel well would be - even in the 335i/328i there is only a little parcel tray that will take a few shoeboxes. I'd get a temporary - available via tirerack I think and the jack kit.

mrglock

Bavauto has this:

This kit includes one steel wheel with 125/80/17 tire, a BMW OEM jack, and lug wrench. Spare tire is approximately 25 in dia x 5 in wide.
    Part Number Description Price Qty.
    E90 SPARE KIT
    Emergency Spare Tire Kit

$ 334.95

Michgndr89

I struggled with this very thought for some time, but finally decided that the "come get me -- help" provision in my insurance policy is far cheaper than buying another set of RFTs that I hate.

Plus having RFTs out here in vast open spaces of the West is NO guarantee that you won't be stranded anyway.

sundevilruss

I decided my next tire change will include a switch from RFT to normal tires. Until the ride quality and cost of RFTs become a cost benefit (which I think is an eventuality) I'm going to take the more traditional route. Also, I hate having limited options. On tirerack there are 11 RFTs for my car...127 'regular' tires.

To be safe on the road I am considering a few options:
    1. A DIY repair kit with plugs, slime and an air compressor
    2. The Bavarian Auto spare tire kit (this product receives a lot of recommendations)
    3. Get new wheels too, then just throw one of the old wheel/RFTs into the trunk

There are ways to secure a spare in the trunk using the hook points behind the rear seat. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the functionality of the trunk since 99% of the time all I carry is golf clubs, groceries, or the kids' baseball gear.

JimMetcalf

In my 2007 335i cabriolet, I purchased a spare wheel (style 185) and replaced my two worn RFT's with Bridgestone Potenza -at about half the price of RFT's. The spare wheel and tire do take a lot of trunk space-the BMW jack kit rides under the trunk floor w/o problem. I secure the tire with a motorcycle tie down. The security of not worrying about being stranded by a RFT failure more than makes up for the loss of trunk space. The downside is the cost of a replacement wheel! App $350!

cwbiii guest

new to me...

The run flat option is new to me and I will let time sort it out. I have the option to wait for a replacement tire on my motor home and it has left me stranded for more than 24hrs waiting for a tire. Luckily my motor home is self contained so it's only the time that is the real inconvenience, plus I tow a Wrangler as a "toad" so I'm not completely stuck somewhere. Slime and a electric pump may make sense for a simple puncture... but serious tire failure is going to limit how far you can limp. There is definitely no place to stow a spare (mini or full sized) without taking up most of the trunk... which is small to begin with. Since I use my car for transportation rather than travel (that's what the motor home is for) then I'm not really concerned about the tire issue and will simply live with it as it is until I need to decide differently. Down the road I may fit out my 335d for towing a travel trailer. This will require a full size spare to be carried somewhere, possibly as part of a carrier on the tow hitch. But none of that is until the warranty is done.

Chuck

LuigiE90

Ammonia Tank?? I guess I'm more ignorant about cars then I thought.:confused:

John in VA

LuigiE90