Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wants half an acre or one acre of land to build a garage on to restore my car

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bcweir, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

bcweir

Why? Because I would like to be able to perform a restoration of my car myself to build a small garage on it. My needs are actually quite small -- half an acre to no more than one acre.

How cheap? How low can you go? I'd generally prefer to pass on anything more than $1,000 an acre. I'd prefer to keep it close to the Dallas, Texas area, or within the State of Texas, but would consider adjoining states.

One thing that complicates this is a little known Texas law that requires me to purchase a minimum of five acres IF the land is not within an incorporated city limits. Complicated huh? Tell me about it.

If anyone knows anything about this or if you can help, please let me know. Gratefully appreciated. :D

Pyewacket1

Can't help with the land acquisition, but I can tell you that having a separate garage to do restoration of a car in is absolutely the right way to go. I completely restored a 1941 Dodge 3-window business coupe several years ago in a detached garage/"shop" I had built next to my house, and brother, was it great to be able to simply close the door and leave everything out, knowing NOTHING would be moved when you returned.

Good luck in your quest!

MGarrison

What are the requirements to be an incorporated city? Can you buy a 1/2 acre and set it up as a small city? "Welcome to Weirville!" Population: 1. I suppose you'd have to give yourself a speeding ticket, contest it with yourself in court, serve as prosecutor, defender, judge & jury, then fine & pay yourself - that is, if you let yourself get caught.... by yourself.

floydarogers

I'd probably look around in-city in industrial parks for a garage to rent - there's a ton of empty commercial spaces due to the economy. Overall, it would be cheaper to rent for a year than to buy/build - especially since it will take time to get a building permit.

bcweir

Thanks for the feedback

First of all, an enormous thank you to Wehlitzj. Your encouragement and support is most appreciated

Um, OK! You either posted this to the wrong thread or the wrong person, because I have NO idea what you're talking about. Nothing you said seems to have anything to do with what I am looking for or what I talked about in this thread.

Thank you, but the whole idea behind buying a small patch of dirt is to get AWAY from the bureaucracy of the city and its expensive layering upon layering of paperwork, permits, zoning. etc. No offense, but I'm DONE with RENTING space for my car. It's currently been in storage since February 2007. I'm not permitted to do any mechanical work where it's at due to liability and permit limitations. Yet another reason to get this car OUT of the city and begin work in earnest on it where I can work undisturbed.

Pyewacket1

alstroberg guest

Try this again

bcweir

I re-read it four times.

It's either completely off-topic or suggests a rather unrealistic solution. Neither was helpful.

If it was intended as a joke, only two people caught the punchline.

Wehlitzj, thanks for the suggestion about the vehicle lift.

MGarrison

You said....

Since you didn't seem to understand the concept (which is wholly related to the above sentence), here's some further clarification - I was suggesting the idea that one might be able to circumvent that 5-acre-purchase constraint by purchasing a lot-size less than 5 acres and setting up the smaller lot as an incorporated city. Thereby fulfilling Texas law while being able to buy the size lot you want, allowing you to have your cake and eat it too.

The rest was merely an extension of the concept to suggest the preposterousness of a city of ONE being their own population and bureaucracy (preceded by the speculation of what you might name your own city and what the welcome sign would say). Presumably you have seen signs posted entering a city's limits that say something like "Welcome to insert-city-name-here; Population: xxxxxxx."

Just a little out-o'-the-box thinkin' for ya there, not my problem if you don't appreciate the suggestion or my sense of humor.

As you might say.... "Deal with it!" :D

& good luck with the project whatever ya do, having a dedicated workspace is always a plus; consider a full lift too, if it fits the budget. Plus fans &/or air conditioning, unless you're particularly heat tolerant. An enclosed space like that in Texas summer weather seems like it could get kinda stuffy.

bcweir

I understood that part, yet it still had nothing to do with what I am look for.

Here's why:

Incorporating a city or township would require the following:

I would need a city charter from the state I was incorporating in.

The city charter would have to outline such things as the articles of incorporation, a set of bylaws, detailing a representative form of government, the officers who would run the city or township, boundaries of the city, etc.

I would also need to have a system of taxation and a means of submitting a percentage of taxes collected to the state and the federal government. (Please outline the taxes I would be collecting and who I would be collecting them from besides myself?)

I would also need to hold elections at regular intervals as well as have polling stations as well as election officers.

I ask again: why do I need all this for a 30 foot by 30 foot garage sitting on a half-acre?

Perhaps I should ask everyone who owns their own home why they aren't incorporating as a city or township also if this is such a great idea?

+1 and Kudos on the lift idea as well as air conditioning (a MUST in the Texas heat)! However, I'm taking this one step at a time: first I need someplace to build it on. But thanks for the great suggestions.

floydarogers

Tree hugging and zoning

Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it amusing that an avowed tree hugger is attempting to avoid zoning laws intended to help preserve the environment from overly-heavy development that strains resources, notably those that are aimed at decreasing runoff - surface impermeability being one of the greatest threats to the environment.

bcweir

If you had any idea what trees do, you'd hug them too.

I find it disappointing that an avowed political junkie like yourself can't keep this a nonpartisan forum where EVERYONE can enjoy their automotive hobby free of political interference?

What's wrong with wanting a clean environment AND being able to enjoy an automotive hobby? Are you going to tell me (and everyone else who doesn't want to contract lung cancer by stepping outside their homes) that I can't enjoy (or even SEEK) an environment in which to enjoy my automotive hobby like everyone else?

Waste can be handled responsibly without involving local bureaucracy. It's called recycling and responsible disposal. I realize those words are taboo in the tiny narrow-minded political circles you run in, but if would turn off Faux News and visit nearly any auto parts store or mechanics shop, you're bound to find that such responsible businesses are more than happy to help automotive enthusiasts like myself (no Sierra Club card necessary) dispose of automotive waste RESPONSIBLY.

floydarogers

bcweir

Jump to conclusions? All I did was respond to what you wrote in your post.

You're the one who hijacked it for political commentary.

Instead of hijacking my post, why not create your own?

Besides, you're coming off as a bit of a hypocrite with that last line:

So it's OK for you to rebuild YOUR engine in your garage, but not OK for me to restore MY car in mine?

Apologies to those of you who offered supportive and helpful commentary, but I have closed this post to prevent further thread hijacking by people who can't keep their political hypocrisy out of a nonpartisan, nonpolitical board.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.