Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Did me some Dinan...

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by drummerfc, Jul 31, 2010.

drummerfc

Well, after months of consternation and haranguing, and asking people's opinions (both here, my mechanic, and other sources), I finally decided to do some Dinan to my E39 and have their performance muffler installed. It's a cat-back, so the rest of the exhaust is stock. Here's my take on the results of the decision:

Sound - wow...it's everything I thought/hoped it would be and nothing more, which is what I wanted in the first place. We've all seen the cars with the after-market mufflers installed and frankly they are a sound nuisance. This is not like that...throatier, fuller sounding without overtaking, it sounds like a BMW sport sedan should IMO, especially in 1st and 2nd gears.

Performance - Dinan's website speaks of a modest horsepower boost, nothing special, and my mechanic confirmed this...I do notice a bit of a boost. But more importantly, and crazy as it sounds, a louder exhaust actually improves my shifting! Now that I hear the car, I'm better at the timing. :D

Look - well, check out the attached pics and judge for yourselves. I'm happy with the look but not jumping for joy; it's clear this car was designed for one to not notice the exhaust pipes and if I were king of the world I would want it to sit a bit higher.

Final Grade: A-...the bottom line is, I'm able to enjoy the car even more with this installation and that's what it's all about! :D

ggondek

Good idea

That's a good idea. I have an '01 540i with 6 speed. I find myself on the highway running at 4400 rpm in 3rd gear. You can't tell what gear you're in because they are all smooth and quiet.

ggondek

AJWhite

yep, happens...I have a 00' 6 speed...with no dash indicator of gearing, you either have to have your hand on shifter all the time, or look down to see your gear, or check rpm/speedo. If you have eyes on the road, those options aren't always too smart. Nothing wrong with 4400 rpm though.

svartorn

That Dinan exhaust sure sounds good doesn't it?

I love mine on the M62.

GSMetal

Well this is great.....JUST great! :mad:

Here I am with my stock exhaust thinking the car is really cool and then you put up a post talking about Dinan exhaust with photos and all the cool sounds it makes and now I think I have to get a new set of pipes.

So...how much was it? :)

jagman212000 guest

The sound...

I really do enjoy hearing the sound those engines make through quality exhaust. I do agree that the tailpipe execution looks kinda like an afterthought. Thats an easy enough issue to correct and as long as you are happier driving your BMW then that's all that matters.

BMRDRVR

Glad to know you like the sound ...

I'm having mine installed in two weeks. They're not cheap, but nothing on a BMW is ever cheap. My free-flow exhaust was $899, plus $139 to install. Often Dinan has sales so watch their website. I'm also having a cold-air intake installed and stage II software, which was on sale at 15% off in August, which is when I ordered my parts, so I got that goin' for me!

CSBM5

I agree too. I have the Dinan cans on my 2001 M5, and they are perfect -- just the right increase in sound, no droning, nice on highway, but shriek a deep banshee-wail under WOT. I bought them about 3 years ago when Dinan had a 15% rebate plus my local dealer gave me 15% off list -- still expensive but a quality product with the outcome exactly what I wanted.

drummerfc

It's positively incredible...obviously it's the best part about this :D !!

drummerfc

Yikes...sorry! :eek:

I ordered it from an authorized Dinan dealership in the Philly area and they delivered it straight to my mechanic...no sales tax, no delivery charge :D:D ! @$670.00 or so...and then whatever it costs for install (labor only). Well worth it IMO.

drummerfc

Wow! Did you get the entire exhaust or just the cat-back like me? Do you have duals or a single?

I must've caught a sale then! No sales tax and no deliv charge if you have it delivered 'cross state lines to your mechanic was the ticket. :rolleyes:

Enjoy it...

BMRDRVR

Just the single cat-back. That's Dinan's list these days. That's true for other models too, not just the 330Ci zhp. Just once I'd like to find a cheap hobby!