Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

O'fest AutoX smack talk

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2010' started by conechaser, Jul 30, 2010.

conechaser

That's a bummer to miss it at this late of an hour. Anything else you can bring so you don't miss the party? You can co-drive the trusty/musty "M-car" (aka: a 97 Mustang GT) if you want at the AutoX. If Scotty knows you, I have no qualms about the offer.

gvcmel

Conechaser - thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.

I have a motorsports oil seal in hand and lots off the car already tonight. Had a half day off on Friday to pack for the trip. That now will be used to pull the transmission and see just what is really wrong for all the oil to be leaking like that.

Smed330

Oh man!!!! Sucks Mel.
    If you cant get it going, bring the MINI.
    I will offer up my car also, but be forwarned that the electric seat operator broke a couple years ago and I am way shorter than you are.

Its only a long day from Rochester if you drive through and you have until tuesday to really get there. I know it impacts all the other stuff though.

I need to finish packing and go back to work tonight as we are leaving by 7:00 AM tomorrow. If you need anything, you have my e-mail and I will get back to you.

Hope you are able to make it!

gvcmel

WOW - Thanks Scott. Have to warn you that most people who loan me their car regret it once the final times are in.

Things are looking up. The oil leak(s) have been found and it wasn't the seal to crank as expected. It was the seal to the carrier, the carrier to the block and the pan to the carrier.

They all got cleaned real good and RTV'ed seriously. They can dry overnight and in the morning I will slip the transmission back in ( slip is such a simple word for such a complicated task ) and it hits the ground again. Then a good test run down the expressway to see if it stays dry.

Looks like Sunday morning is the new departure date. Lets see what tomorrow brings

Smed330

Glad to hear that things are looking up on your front.
    We will plan to see you on Monday or tuesday.

conechaser

Why? Do you break their cars too??

:D

just kidding... this IS a smack talk thread after all! I think most of us have been in that situation (and on both sides of it) before.

Glad to hear you're getting the problem solved.

gvcmel

No, usually end up buying the drinks as compensation for beating them.

But, in this case it's going to be the MINI as the Bimmer is still leaking after all that work. It seemed fixed but after a ten mile run it started dropping oil again. I'm thinking we are back to the crank scrapper causing issues again. Once I get back from Ofest the oil pan will have to come off and find some different oil pan gaskets to trap that scrapper better. They say not to glue the gaskets to the scrapper but that is what stopped it last time.

So, bringing the MINI with all three of us on board. It will definitely be more than a three hour tour. Have to pack carefully.

dmmai

Mel, glad you made it in the Mini. It was fun watching the Mini classes run. Like a swarm of bees.

Jan, congrats on your run in the Mustang. Very nice. You were the fastest of the "non-nuclear Subaru" non-BMW class.

Yes, the Iowa gang made a great showing ... again.

Scott had a little challenge this year. He and Bob Young fought it out. Bob had the overall lead for the first three runs, with Scott trailing by ~3/10 of a second. Then, on the last run, Scott brought it down more than a half second for fastest BMW time (Thursday).

Russ was ... ridiculous fast. His first run (one of the very last runs of the day) was in the 41s. Nobody but Paul Ebanks (Attack Subaru) had made it into the 41s all week. Not being satisfied by beating 2nd place by 2 seconds and FTD overall with a low 41, his fun run knocked off another 1/2 second. The only driver to get any run in under 41 seconds. Crazy fast.

I don't know how you top this one...? A terrific event. Great fun, minimal cone carnage, super competition, great cars, beautiful venue.

See ya in Birmingham.

D

CRKrieger

It's almost an embarrassment having a grown man jumping up and down in front of you like a second grader chanting "Fun runs! Fun runs! Fun runs!" so, even though it was inconsistent because I'd denied every other group any fun runs, I relented. As I said at the banquet, I knew he had a 40 in him and I just wanted to see it, even if it didn't count.
    I'm biased, but I hope you can't. :D At least, not until O'Fest comes back to Road America. ;)

Smed330

I really think I would have been in the high 42's on my last run had the shift knob not come off and I missed the first shift to second gear.:D
    I had to dig it out of the back seat after the run.

It really was a good competition again this year. Now I just need to figure out how Russ does it. I have been chasing him for too many years now.

CRKrieger

Russ' shift knob doesn't come off ... :p

MGarrison

Yeah, fiddling with one's knob while negotiating an auto-x course probably isn't a recipe for fast times.

Zeichen311

It does put an extra kick into "fun runs," though. :D

03BeastCharmer

Maybe we need an expert class like they have for the concourse, and put the likes of TC Kline and Russ, to help out the rest of us :D

Houston took home a few autox trophies :) We'll be taking home more next year.....

jazzracer

I had a blast at the autox. Great job CR. Wished fir more runs I think I could have gotten to 35sec. Hey I can dream can't I!

I wish I could have seen Scott and TC run. Russ put on a clinic.