Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Registering ED Car in California

Discussion in 'European Delivery' started by rbindc, Jul 24, 2010.

rbindc

I'm planning on picking up my BMW in mid-October. I live in Maryland now and will be registering the car here when it arrives. However, next year I plan to move to California, which imposes an 8% sales tax unless you own the car for 365 days before moving it to California. They give you credit for sales tax paid to other states, which is 6% in Maryland. I want to avoid paying the additional 2% to California (about $1000).

The California DMV on-line tax calculator asks for the "Purchase Date" and the "Date the vehicle entered California," then calculates the number of days that elapsed. Does anyone know exactly when the clock starts ticking, i.e., what is the purchase date of the car? The date I sign the contract and pay the dealer in full? The date I physically take possession in Munich? The date I register the car for the first time (in Maryland)? Also, how do the check on the date I claim I brought the car into the state? Do they use my rental lease date?

Seems to me these dates can be manipulated by a month or two by planning ahead.

Any ideas?
    • Staff

steven s

For purposes of the membership rewards program, the clock starts ticking when you are handed the keys in Germany. You officially own the car. That is your date of purchase. That is the date entered into BMW's system.

>Seems to me these dates can be manipulated by a month or two by planning ahead. <
    Who is going to manipulate the date of purchase?

rbindc

Steve,

I wasn't talking about the Membership Rewards Program, although that is a good thing to know and am glad you mentioned it. I want to know how the State of California defines the date of purchase for purposes of taxation. My guess is that some California member of the club knows the answer to my question.

Regarding "manipulation," I may be able to do that by choosing the date I sign the contract, pay the dealer, or take delivery. I just need to know how California law defines the two dates.

Bob
    • Staff

steven s

I know you weren't talking about membership rewards.
    The date the program uses is the date of purchase which is the date you pick up your car in Munich. I was defining what is considered the date of purchase.

Have you asked Motor Vehicles?
    It doesn't matter what someone posts on the internet. ;)

rbindc

Not yet. Getting through the bureaucracy may be a challenge. Maybe its in the motor vehicle code somewhere.

Bob