Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2011 X5 xDrive 35D Power liftgate closing sound

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by vinsk, Jul 21, 2010.

vinsk guest

Its been a month I took the delivery of 2011 X5 35D. Everything is great about this SAV except the closing of the power liftgate. It doesn't close smoothly just at the end, it makes a sound as if its hitting it hard on the metal. It is same with all the X5's? Thanks

mkc1860

closing of x5 liftgate

I have an 09. I agree mine basically seems to just "drop" the last few inches rather than a smooth power close. Probably just cheaper??!!

Pyewacket1

Why not go by the dealer and see if one on the lot does the same thing?

If it doesn't, grab a service advisor and show him/her how the 2 operate, and tell them to fix yours (or break theirs).

jagman212000 guest

Probably Normal

The last few inches of travel on the E70 (X5) and E71 (X6) will drop with what I'd call a soft slam. It should then soft close to fully latched. I don't know how loud yours is but I work at the factory in Spartanburg so I hear a few tailgates close every day lol. I agree with the previous post that you should compare to one on the lot just to verify. You may well see that it is the same. I think they are a little noisy too but all of the power close hatches I have heard all sound the same barring a calibration or hall effect sensor issue which should turn on a malfunction in the CIC.