Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Not-so-special tools

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Zeichen311, Jul 16, 2010.

Zeichen311

They may be paragons of sophisticated German engineering but funny how once they reach a certain age, they will only yield their secrets or cooperation to Liquid Wrench, a blowtorch and (WHANG!) a 2-lb. (WHANG!) sledge. (WHANG! WHANG! WHANG!)

Score: Me 6, oxygen sensors 0 (lifetime).

The road test will include a stop at the neighborhood ice-cream stand. I believe I've earned it. :D

dms540i

That bad? Well I have to go in there to do it, too. I've got the 02 sensors, but I'm not looking forward to the carnage. Any pics?

Brian A

Another special tool

Buy a cheap oil pan drain plug (available at general auto parts stores) the same size as your O2 Sensor threads. Cut a couple of slots across the threads and use this special $4 tool to dress the threads on the plenum.

Also, be careful not to get anti-sieze compound on the tip of the O2 sensor (it ruins it) (I have determined this empirically).

az3579

Ya know, I don't get it. I thought I deserved a treat when I replaced my O2 sensor, yet as I was on the way to my local ice cream place, an exhaust leak popped out and said "GOTCHA!"...

It's on as tight as I could turn it without risking damaging the sensor/threads. WTF??? :(

Zeichen311

Sorry, no. They wouldn't show much anyway, it didn't look significantly worse than average--it just wouldn't budge. I suspect it was either the original sensor (age, 138k) or it had been replaced once but installed without anti-seize. Given the overall condition of this poor beast and the fact that the dead sensor was a BMW part, not aftermarket, I'm inclined to believe the former. :mad:

Nice tip! Hope I remember it when the day comes again.

Sometimes they really don't appreciate the time and effort we put into caring for them. I think horses were better in that regard.

Brian A

I think usually they just come out. NotTheStig is 6 for 6. I'm 2 for 2.

At least you know what it is. If you had a new car, you'd have to take it to the dealership to read the codes and they would probably tell you some big expensive module needs replacing.

THAT is VERY funny.

az3579

In that case, mine is literally a spoiled 5 year-old child. Takes everything for granted, wants more than I can give it, and when I do give it something, it complains that it's not what it wants. :mad:

But, like parents loving their child no matter how much of a spoiled brat the child is, I lovez my E30 too.