Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best way to maintain Convert top: up or down?

Discussion in 'E63/E64 (2004-2010)' started by alstroberg, Jul 14, 2010.

alstroberg guest

What do you think is the best way to maximize longevity of a convertible top? Should I keep it up or down- it's always garaged.

MGarrison

I'm going to speculate up, on the rationale that over the long haul, say 10 or 20 or more years, the material will dry out or age or whatever, and lose flexibility. Presuming the top material does age and lose flexibility (whatever it's made of), if it's folded up/creased in the top-down position long enough, perhaps it wouldn't even want to stretch back over the top frame in top-up, or rip, if the top motors/frame were strong enough. That's just a guess, perhaps others will have specific insight or experience.
    jerome001 and 330indy1 like this.

John in VA

Another vote here for keeping the top up.
    jerome001 likes this.

Pyewacket1

Color me three.

When raised, the top experiences the same environment. If down and packed underneath a cover (or not), its much more subject to damage due to humidity build-up, etc. I have owned 3 ragtop convertibles over the years (now I have a 328i drop-top).

My wife has an 05 Mini convertible, and fortunately, her car sits in a covered garage both at work and at home. I would say her top looks as if its in better shape than some of the ones on the cars I have seen sitting on the lot at the local dealership.

She does put some effort into keeping it up, using the suggested products for cleaning and waterproofing sold by Mini/BMW.

And, no question...The interior will stay in better shape with the top up .vs. down, even if garaged, unless the garage is climate-controlled.

But, I wouldn't become OCD about raising it. Leaving it down for a few days at the time when you're enjoying good weather won't make much difference at all.
    jerome001 likes this.

330indy1

up

oh I have to type more to post. OK

up

rspeser

Definitely up in the garage. It keeps the top stretched out and keeps out dirt.
    1 people like this.

Brian A

I have a 1987 325ic which is on its second top. The biggest factor on longevity is keeping the top out of the sun. Folding is a secondary issue.

If M6es have a plastic window, they get hazy, harden and crack before the fabric goes bad.

My vote is to store top-up for all the above reasons plus, as the window slowly hardens, it seems to shrink too. It is probably better to keep it taut in the open position.

I travel a lot (... as he writes from Lagos, Nigeria) (36 hour layover in Munich starting Saturday!!) and put my top up if gone for more than a week or so.
    1 people like this.

330indy1

yeah what he said

hmmm..... what to do, what to do in Munich for 36 hours? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    get me a BMW WELT pen..... 8 euro i think... I'll pay ya back!!

Brian A

I need off-beat suggestions!!

granthr

Go hunt down some rare euro parts for your E30s!!!!! :) Would pick me up a set of perfect, used early E30 bumpers please, for a great price. :D

MGarrison

Aw c'mon Brian, grab me one of these while your over there would ya - so much easier to get through customs! :D

[IMG]

Brian A

Still struggling for ideas...

I only travel with carry-on bags, so I doubt I can sneek on bumpers or a manifold.

It seems popular alternatives are to lounge buck naked in Englisher Garten or to drink too much beer and conduct the Oompa band at the Hofbrauhaus. I niether have sufficient sunscreen along or capacity for beer.

330indy1

I assume you've seen all the museums?

Pyewacket1

Take some time to visit Salzburg, Austria. Lots of history in that area (especially WWII related) and it isn't that far from Munich.