Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cabrio rear suspension squeak and rattle

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mrl325i, Jul 10, 2010.

mrl325i

Hello. I thought my shock mounts were shot so I replaced them and the rear shocks, too. I have a squeak coming from the pass side rear over bumps along with a thump/rattle that happens when I run over a series of small bumps (like a washboard surface). I cannot see what is worn out under there. Anyone have an idea what the likely culprits are, and what I should be looking for? Thanks

mrl325i

Just in case anyone might be interested, the rattle was the driveshaft banging up against the tunnel due to a worn-out u-joint. Joints replaced, driveshaft balanced and all is well.

Squeak still there, though....:(

MGarrison

Well - there's trailing arm bushings, swaybar bushings, rear subframe bushings, swaybar-link bushings, the diff-mount bushing.....

I'm not sure the driveshaft center support bearing or guibo would likely squeak - I'm guessing maybe not. I suppose cv joints might be some sort of remote possibility. Don't know if the convertible top mechanism could offer up a squeak or not. Some sort of rear-brake-related squeak wouldn't seem likely to be coming up from bumps and road irregularities.

Brian A

It is amazing how badly a loose the driveshaft can get without noticing it. When I replaced mine the center support bearing had beaten itself to becoming a rubber-free ring.

That would be my bet too. Shoot them all (or one-by-one) with some sort of aerosol oil to see if the squeak temporarily goes away.