Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW buying car back?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Lori S, Apr 12, 2008.

Lori S guest

Has anyone had BMW buy their car back?

Just curious if yes, why?

kkratoch

A salesman at the dealership where I bought my last car told me they bought back some 7 series cars that customers were having loads a problems with. I cannot remember the years affected or the problem. This was 3 years ago.

Lori S guest

Wow.
    No one knows of someone who had their car taken back by BMW?

ripster guest

hopfully mine

Supposedly, Lauderdale Imports is taking my 335 droptop back, and giving me a new one. At least that's what the manager said. My car is a "lemon" under Florida law.

Bill Howard

A casual business colleague hinted BMW bought back his early E65 7 Series becasue iDrive was such a horror show, in his not so humble opionion. Or so he said. My point in passing along this story which may or may not be true: I've heard third-hand stories, fewer stories directly from the person himself. I think the case where a buyback happens, if and when it happens, is a lifelong customer at the same dealership or someone really influential in the community, and if it's swapped for another BMW. And if that's the case and it has a different equipment level and it's a lease ... who's to say if the dealer really bought it back and the buyer got all his money back?

The other good case for buybacks is where the lemon law kicks in, or might kick in. There by law the automaker has to take the car back and if there's a gray area, the automaker weighs factors such as is the buyer a horse's ass or a decent guy ... does the HA have a good case ... and how's it going to look if it gets publicized? Lemon laws typically mean the dealer couldn't effect the repair after X tries in Y days and there's this kind of gray area: the engine spews oil out the exhaust ... the dealer can't replicate the problem then can ... on the second visit it's repaired after 10 days waiting for parts ... now it spews just a bit of gray smoke ... the dealer says no problem found ... so, was it repaired or not?

BMWCCA1

In the old days, BMW had an entire category of their cars at auction: pre-litigation buy-backs. These were cars bought back from the customer, or swapped for replacements, to avoid litigation or the requirements attached to re-selling Lemon Law buy-backs. In these cases the cars were generally put into company fleet use for a minimum of six months and then sold, to dealers, with full disclosure as to their providence and service history. So, to answer your question, buy-backs are not uncommon but, as Bill indicates, BMW has to weigh the options in each case, and in each state.

If you're asking this because of your own car, be sure you've exhausted every opportunity for making you happy through your dealer and only then contact BMW customer service for assistance with a product problem. In many cases BMW will authorize the dealer to deal with you directly for repair or replacement to make the dealer look like the good guy. You've got a much better shot at coming out on top if you don't burn those bridges first.

Remember, as a BMW CCA member, you can always utilize our Club ombudsmen to interceed for you in a dispute with a BMW dealer or with BMW NA, as well as with independent shops, part suppliers, etc. Just another good reason to become a member of BMW CCA.

Lori S guest

I got a call from BMW that they wanted to "take you out of your car."
    That was in January.
    This should happen in the next 2 weeks and I will report back if and when it does happen, as well as the details.

The unfortunate part is that I can't buy a new BMW for what they are supposed to give me which is basically all that I paid for my car less the milage that was declared at the first complaint.
    I tried to get them to swap cars since dollar for dollar their cost of a new 335i and what they have to pay me for my 330i, which I naturally bought retail, should be quite similar in terms of actual dollars.

ripster guest

couldn't be fixed

In my case, the problem started on the day of delivery. Mine is a lease, and I have been loyal to the dealer for almost 10 yrs. This being my 3rd lease. The windows do not work properly upon cycling of the top, weather dropping or raising it. The top itself was a huge problem that took several attempts to get corrected. The windows are still not fixed. My advisor first said the window tint could be the problem,(although BMW installed the tint) turned out not to be the case. My car was delivered in Nov. 07, and has been in the shop a total of 50+ days and in one instance 18 consecutive days. When the advisor finally said to come pick up the car, he hinted at it being a "lemon". The nex day, a manager called to say they want to take me out of the car. So far everyone has been completely professional. I hope they follow through on the there words. My question, if anyone knows, is will they replace it with an identical vehicle? Subtracting for the 4000 miles mine has?

One other thing, when I turned in my 05, 330i ragtop, the windows in this car did exactly the same thing and over the course of the lease, the problem never was rectified. I wonder if others have experienced problems with the windows not retracting properly?

Rick

BMWCCA1

If your tint was applied to the window surface, I assure you "BMW" didn't do it. Maybe your dealer did, but I can pretty much guaranty it didn't come on the car when it arrived at the first dealership.

Can't answer your window issue but I find it hard to believe BMW couldn't suggest a cure. It's only electronics. Heck, even Ford figured out how to make a folding hard top in the '50s. I'm sorry to hear you had so many problems and even sorrier to hear BMW wasn't able to fix something as fundamental as power windows. Not a real confidence builder, is it?

ripster guest

I stand corrected

The tint was indeed installed through a third party at the dealer's direction, I sometimes forget that the dealer and BMWNA are two distinct entites, it is puzzling that something seemingly as trivial as a window going up and down cannot be cured. I hope to break even with regard to swapping cars.

BMWCCA1

Those of us who've worked at dealerships never forget the difference. Very often the dealer takes the crap while BMW takes the credit. Some problems are better handled at the dealership level, others need some help from BMW. At this point I have to believe your dealer's done everything they can to fix your problem and BMW is out of guesses.

mmancini65 guest

In answer to your question about BMW buying back a car, Yes, they will. I bought an 06 325xi that was having lifter noise problems. After tyring several times to isolate the problem and fix it but failing, they offered to buy back the car, what they called a "trade assist." They gave me sticker price for my car, and had me choose a brand new car, this time an 07 328i. I paid the difference between the two invoice values. In my case, since I optioned my 328i differently from the 325xi, I actually got money back. Additionally, as a BMWCCA member, I received an additional $500 since I had the first car for over 1 year. BMW was really great throughout the whole thing.

rj325 guest

My neighbor informed me that BMW just bought back their friend's 2006 325i with 50K miles because of numerous electrical problems. They went through arbitration.

Dr Obnxs guest

As many indicate, buy backs happen.

Just one thing to add, lemon laws vary by state, so if you've got a problem car, read up on your states statute.

Matt

michaelbird

I've had two cars bought back - one by the dealer and one by BMW. Two totally different activities. In the case of BMW buying back the car, the deal we agreed on was that they paid off the lease and they sold me a new car of my choice at dealer cost. So I came out OK, other than the months and months of frustration. It was a V8 E34, so you can probably guess what that was all about.

Oh yeah - and what Matt said. Read up on your state's lemon laws, if it comes to that. That's what I had to do, and the car was never declared a lemon, but it did get BMW NA to take some action on my problems.

Best of luck to you,

Michael

ripster guest

I'm impressed

Just an update, my dealership has gone beyond what I expected to have done with regards to my "lemon". Sales manager was unable to find a replica of what I originally ordered. He is now reordering my new 335 and is upgrading the i-pod to factory installation(mine was done after the fact by the service dept) I am also getting 19 in. wheels. and changing colors. Overall, I am very impressed with this adventure. Can't wait to see this car with 19's.

R

Lori S guest

BMW is buying my car back

So BMW is buying my 2004 330i back for exactly what I paid for it less the milages that was logged when I first started to complain about the side mirror getting stuck in the down position. Luckily, I complained early.
    The problem is, I can't get a new car with what they are giving me.

What would you do?
    It's going to cost me over 15K plus the money they give me to get a new 335i.

:cool:

ripster guest

two choices

BMW is buying back your '04 330 ? Without knowing the milage total and other details, I would say you did very well to recieve full sticker minus milage. My car was delivered in Nov. 07 and started hitting the shop in Dec. for a total of 60 days and 6 trips racks. So basically they just swapped new cars. As for your problem, have you considered a cpo? An 07, with low milage would knock a good deal of cash off of a $15,000.00 difference. The only problem with that is the warranty, I'm not sure they offer "zero cost to the owner" on cpo. And I know one thing for certain, I would not own a vehicle, weather it be a beemer, Merecedes, Audi ect. without full warranty. Or you can bite the bullet, and shell out for an 08. Myself, I would would go with the new car. Good luck,

see ya in the far left lane,

R

Lori S guest

A warranty is VERY important to me.
    Problem started right when I got the car 4 years ago.
    It's been written on a service order at least 10 times.
    The car has 40,000 miles on it.

They new they couldn't fix a long time ago.

New problem is that BMW is taking my car on Thursday and new 335i won't be here for a few more days.

Lori S guest

New car snuck in under the radar Tuesday night.
    HA! She's already fast and sneaky.
    I saw her yesterday.

Wish me luck.
    I meet with the BMW rep who is inspecting my current car before buying it back in an hour.
    Jeez. I feel like I'm going to show off my kid.