Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW vs Tire Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 14th BMW, Jul 2, 2010.

14th BMW '16 Z4 35is

We got off topic in another thread, but the info might be of real interest to those buying new tires:

http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7314&page=2

The gist of the discussion is that BMW recommends that you DON'T rotate your tires, whereas the newest manufacturer warranties won't be honored UNLESS YOU DO rotate your tires.

BMW says: From the 2010 328i Owner's Manual... Page 213
    BMW advises against swapping wheels between the front and rear axles, even if all tires have the same size, as this could impair driving characteristics. If the tires are of mixed sizes, swapping wheels between axles is not permissable.

Continental says: From the Continental Warranty (you can find this at Tire Rack's website for every tire):
    Tread Wearout Coverage
    The Continental brand tires listed below are warranted against wearout
    up to the mileage/ kilometers coverage show in this section, even
    though the actual mileage/ kilometers you may get from your tires
    may vary because of driving habits and road conditions. Subject to
    the provisions of Section 5 and 7 below, if one of the tires listed in
    this section wears out before the listed mileage/ kilometers, CTNA
    will adjust the tire on a pro-rata basis. "Wearout" means that the tire's
    tread has worn evenly down to the tread wear indicators (2/32nds of an
    inch or 1/6 mm of tread remaining.) "Pro-rata" for this Tread Wearout
    Coverage is measured by the odometer readings at the time of the tire's
    purchase, as shown by the original tire sales invoice, and at the time
    of replacement. In addition, you must present a completed rotation
    schedule contained in the original owner's copy of the tire's Limited
    Warranty and Adjustment Policy.
    • Tire(s) that have not been rotated at least every 6,000 to 8,000
    miles (10-13,000 Kilometers) as evidenced by a completed rotation
    schedule are excluded.

I recently had Continental refuse to honor their warranty because I hadn't rotated my tires and the two rears on my daughter's 2002 525i were totally gone after 15k. NO Continental tire will ever be put on ANY of the SEVEN BMWs in our family. The other tire manufacturers now have the same provisions in their warranties.

If you've got a staggered setup, then you're totally on your own. If you follow your BMW service intervals of 15k, then you're on your own.

This created...

Kein' Freude am Fahren...

wretched

Yep thats a real issue! Tire warranties are for marketing not so much the consumer... I gave up on those warranties a long time ago. I drive my work car over 1000 miles a week. I would live at the tire store trying to keep my warranty! It's hard enough keeping up with oil changes! Not to mention those tire guys love to tear up my wheels. I am still looking for a shop in my area that will do a proper job mounting tires I have shipped from the Tire Rack.

M3Driver guest

How about your local BMW dealer? My local dealer are good guys (I've been a good customer for about 10 years) and they allow me to have my tires shipped there and then they'll take it from there.

wretched

It is a thought... My only hesitation is some bad service there. A few dents and scratched later...

theBOAT guest

Two months ago Discount Tire gave me 1/3 of my purchase price credit towards a fresh set of (expensive) rears on my '05 545i Sport. As you know, my tires are the staggered 245f / 275r set that came on the E60 sport package, so no rotations were possible.

Honestly, I was expecting them to tell me to kiss off (due to no rotation), but the adviser I was working with took a look and said, "no problem, let's get you your credit." I was pleasantly surprised!

FYI, I went with Bridgestone Potenza RE960's again, and I love them.

theBOAT

M3Driver guest

Understand.

How about a Porsche dealer or M-Benz? I'm betting one of them would probably mount them for you. You probably would have to haul them to them though and it might cost a bit more since it would be "non-brand" auto.

clcromartie guest

Being in the tire industry for several years as a Michelin trained and certified tire technician I assure you, it is impossible to guarantee mileage without rotations front to back. When I bought my 335, I knew I'd be spending a load on tires. Its just how it is.

wretched

My local BMW dealer is also the MB dealer! :eek:

Zeichen311

Yes. One is a recommendation and the other is a requirement. If you expect to file tire warranty claims, ignore the recommendation. The vehicle warranty doesn't cover the tires and tire rotation does not void the vehicle warranty, so BMW really can't say boo about it.

Remember, the target audience for owners' manuals is not necessarily people who know a lot about cars.

14th BMW '16 Z4 35is

The Problem...

The problem comes in when you buy a CPO'ed car and it only gets serviced every 15k (and even at that point the tires don't get rotated by the dealer, since THEY are following BMW's recommendations), and then something happens to the tires (either during or after CPO time). You're on your own because you followed BMW's recommendations. I know, I know...caveat emptor... It really becomes a question of whether you can trust BMW, BMWNA, your BMW dealer, you SA, etc., esp., since you are not going to get the tire warranty given to you when you buy a CPO'ed car, and you are just going to assume (incorrectly) that you really are covered.

Freude am Fahren (manchmals)...

CRKrieger

So it seems that Michelin has created a warranty loophole big enough to drive a tire transporter through by assisting BMW in making staggered tire sets that cannot be rotated front to rear. :rolleyes:

clcromartie guest

Sure does seem that way, though i don't think Michelin created it. What you'll find though is that most tire manufacturers don't even offer a warranty on high performance tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus is a rarity. I just wrote off tire warranties when i bought this car. I still get the benefit of road hazzard protection which is acceptable i guess. Outside of us staggered size folks though, tons of others get either their guaranteed mileage or a prorate on a new set. I see it every day. Sucks, i know.

tiFreak

just something to consider, BMW recommends oil changes every 15k and a lot of other fluids are "lifetime fill"

I don't think I'd pay much attention to their recommendations on tires ;)