Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

#2 Diesel

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by dkwenger, Jul 2, 2010.

dkwenger guest

On my second trip to the gas station in my new 335d, one pump was printed "Diesel" and in the next aisle "#2 Diesel". My guess was they're the same, but can any of you more greasy dieselers clarify it for a new guy?

PS. As I plucked the pump from the stanchion I had a gentleman in an Audi call across to me "That's diesel!" with some urgency. "Exactly" was my reply, with a wink. I've never enjoyed gassing up more.

floydarogers

#2 diesel is what cars and trucks run on. It's one of those language etymology things. Diesel is the usual name applied to "#2 fuel oil".

What is really important at pumps is the difference between "off-road diesel/fuel", biodiesel and "on-road diesel".

The first has a big nozzle that usually won't fit. That's good, because it has too much sulfer for the catalytic converters in new cars. It also has a red dye in that, if found in a car/truck tank results in a BIG fine because someone's avoiding the fuel tax. This stuff is essentially what is burned in oil furnaces, and in farm tractors.

The second can't be used because BMW hasn't certified anything greater than a 5% biodiesel blend (much diesel sold has 5%, and that's ok, but nothing greater.)

The third usually has a smaller nozzle that is "just the right size" to open the "mis-fueling restrictor" that BMW has installed (mostly to keep gasoline nozzles out). That diesel has 15 ppm or less sulfer (in Europe, it's 10 ppm). Some older pumps have a nozzle that is too big, and we have to use a funnel (you can get it from your dealer.)

So, don't worry about diesel vs. #2 diesel. Look for the sticker that says "ultra-low sulfer" and 5% or less bio-diesel, or on-road diesel.

railroader guest

Good informative post, Floyd! I only wish the "cetane ratings" were displayed on a pump sticker-- so we could look around for the higher-rated diesels. Gasoline pumps show octanes-- why not us, huh?:)

Alighieri guest

The information is out there, you just have to find it. I thought we'd already posted the breakdown here, but if not, I'll find the list and post it up.

floydarogers

anti-gel and other additives

If you can find info on which/what additives, especially anti-gel, from BMW please post that, too. I'm going to check when my car goes in later this month for service.

Although, to be fair, my car started very well all last winter, even with a couple of days around 20 F.

listerone guest

Last winter was my first one with the "d".The coldest it saw was -2F on two seperate nights.Started like a champ both mornings.No problems at all.

Matilda444 guest

Thanks!

Having just ordered an X535d, I'm appreciating this thread! I am a wee bit concerned about cold weather. Excited as I am to be getting a new vehicle, I am sad to part with my 2003 540iT. Would some sweet person who will take good care of her in her old age please please buy her? I don't want to trade her in and have her sent to the auction block

az3579

Good luck with the sale, though I have to tell you that a 2003 is in no way old. Try 20+ years, then you can call it old... lol

Matilda444 guest

Old

OK OK OK . . . . I plan to keep my 2002 mCoupe until she's truly "old". When the X535d goes, they both go. The mCoupe should be 20 then and just rolling 100,000.

az3579

Eh?? Do you never drive the thing?? Let me take care of that for you....... :D

Matilda444 guest

Omg!

Drive the mCoupe in a Minnesota winter. You've got to be kidding!

az3579

I never said in the winter, though it is do-able. I'm talking about the summer...
    The amount of miles you say it will have on it in 20 years... I'll put that on in about 3-4. :D

Matilda444 guest

Miles in 20 Years

I only drive the mCoupe April through September. October through March she's in her jammies in my garage.
    [IMG]
    PJ102410 Summer is Over by Matilda444, on Flickr

I must admit, I was thinking I drove more like 10,000 per year. If I could/would haul kids or dogs in that car, I would drive it more.

az3579

Eh?

How many miles are on it??? It must be ultra low at this moment in time for it to have reached only 100k miles at 20 years old!

I do realize that we're going quite off topic at this point...

Matilda444 guest

How many miles?

I'm too lazy to uncover her and look, but I'm thinking just under 50,000. My service records show I put on about 5,000/year.

granthr

May as well keep going (off topic)!! :D My 84 318i only has 78,000 miles!! :D At this point it is 27 years old (purchased new in fall 83, not by me, I wasn't anywhere close to being old enough to drive), so that averages to about 2,888 miles a year.