Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

llimited slip differentials

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by fred398, Jun 26, 2010.

fred398

Hi,
    I'm trying to find out if my 2003 z4 roadster has a limited-slip differential. I also has an "04 325i and would like to find out as well. I want to change the diff oil and want to put the correct oil in.

Thanks
    • Staff

steven s

tiFreak

since 96 BMW has only offered LSDs in M cars

fred398

thanks for the info,, that exactly what i needed

biomimetic guest

My 2006 Si does. Because I've changed the fluid in it. (I think) the Z3 does as well - there was an issue with the rear assembly being too heavy for the bolt of something as I recall which I've seen the fix for. I think if you look over on bimmeforums there's even a ratio listing of the hardtop v. roadster - the roadster is slightly lower b/c it's slightly heavier.

The easiest way to figure out if the box in the middle is a diff on any car is to jack the rear of the car and see what happens when you turn the rear wheel - does the other one lock and begin to move? Not all factory cars are exactly the same, and unfortunately these blanket statements don't work. Especially now the cars are made all over the world. BMW is no longer 'the sausage factory'.

330indy1

not sure if I read this correctly [perhaps you were referring to the e36/7 z3 (?)]
    but...
    regarding the e85/86 z4 generation:
    1. only the Ms have the LSD
    2. the 'vert is lighter than the coupe.

biomimetic guest