Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, Jun 17, 2010.

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

Has anyone reserved the iPhone 4 yet? The apple website isn't working for me. It's been busy. Can you go into the store and reserve it? Or are most of you going to wait for the 1st batch to sell out?

rspeser

Bought mine from the Apple Store Website yesterday without a problem, unlike Tuesday. AT&T is not placing orders, but you can go into the Apple Store or website. I checked with an iPhone engineer and the docks are the same as the 3GS and so it should work with the oe phone prep kit. The first batch is already sold out, my receive date is July 14-19th.

wretched

Missed my chance getting my car ready for a HPDE. Sold out before I even got a chance to order it! Now its set back to mid july.

az3579

It was only a matter of time before someone brought up the iPhone 4. :rolleyes:

bcweir

Be PATIENT and WAIT

The world will NOT end if you haven't purchased the latest consumer product before the end of June.

I promise you they will make MORE.

Right now you've got 50 MILLION people all trying to stampede one another to get shackled to AT&T for two years (what? you didn't know that AT&T discontinued unlimited data plans? You didn't know that Apple will no longer sell an iPhone without a two year contract?)

HEL-LO!!!!

Yea, I asked about that unlimited data plan nonsense. But they said as long as youve been an at&t costumer with the unlimited data plan your grandfathered in. So im not too worried about that. Guess im going to have to wait for the July batch. Which ia probably better, they'll hopefully fix any bugs.
    • Staff

steven s

Multi-tiered plans are not a bad idea.
    I looked at my data usage on my Droid and my data bill would go down.
    Of course I am comparing apples (no pun intended) to oranges.
    I don't know if the iPhone OS consumes more bandwidth than Android.

Verizon is going to go to a multi-tiered plan when it switches to 4G.
    The hit with multi-tiered plans are when you go over.

And with tethering, this can hurt DSL sales.
    Depending on speeds, why pay for data at home and on your smartphone?
    What I really want to see is a family shared data plan.
    But that is going to far O/T.

alstroberg guest

Unsubsidized Price...

Holy crap- I got to the end page to check address, price etc & noted sales tax of $49.50 on a $199 phone. The explainer was in CA MA & RI they charge tax on the full, unsubsidized price of the phone.

I know these places are hurting for cash but don't I already pay tax on the monthly bill which subsidizes the phone?

az3579

No more unlimited data plan on AT&T? Really???

You AT&T folks are really getting shafted, I'll tell you. I guess we all are, in a way, but y'all really have to pay the price to have an iPhone. It's not that serious, really.

alstroberg guest

It's just not that bad...

Nope. I get to keep my existing plan- unlimited. I thought I was a relatively heavy data user, but after looking at last years data downloads, I'm only doing < 400 mb / month, so the 2 GB plan may actually be a better deal for me. I do not download movies over 3G.

Netflix is coming to the iphone. You'll br downloading and streaming movies soon enough. Im glad they arent going to bend over current customers who already have the unlimited data plan, but im interested on how the new customers will deal with it.

az3579

Technically, even the "unlimited" plan isn't really unlimited. If they think your usage is too high, they'll have no problem slapping you with fees. It's been done before, regardless of carrier.

Yea, you're right, I think it's 5 gigs or something like that. We will see how this new data plan stuff works out soon enough.....Hey...anyone interested in buying an Iphone 3G in July?:rolleyes:

wretched

So true but I was trying to get my new phone before my family vacation. I was really eager to get a fresh new battery and a better camera for those "action shots".

Truthfully....i think the world may very well just come to an end if I don't get my iphone 4. But don't worry, you can sleep easy @ night knowing the world is safe. I reserved my iphone 4 today for delivery in July. All is well....all is well.

bcweir

Clarification: no unlimited plan for NEW customers.

Existing customers can keep their unlimited plan.

AT&T knows they are in their final year to squeeze as much from Iphone customers as possible -- and TRUST me, they're going to wring every penny possible.

Add that to the fact that you are no longer able to purchase an Iphone WITHOUT an AT&T service plan, you can bet your App Store that AT&T is going to make the most of that two year ball and chain you just purchased.

az3579

It doesn't matter anyway, because ALL phones suck at taking pictures, iPhone or not, even if the picture looks "relatively good". You just can't compare to a proper camera. I suggest you buy batteries for that instead. :)

az3579

So, it seems that the new iPhone 4 is completely useless as a handheld device. It seems the second you touch the metal band around the phone, the bars drop a LOT, most of the time to ZERO. This is a very well documented problem as well; lots of people are having the problem. Search YouTube for iPhone 4 losing signal, and you'll see.

How could they possibly release such a product without FIXING IT FIRST?

Michgndr89

I'm not afraid to admit that I like my phone to just be a phone. Maybe some text capability if I want to get my teenagers' attention.

After two years of being shackled to a Crackberry for work, I was happy to give it back.

Crackberries stink like hot garbage. If you get the iphone youll never want to give it back. Dont listen to the haters! HahahHa.