Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Brake Fluid dash light on the Garage Queen

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Zdaneman, Jun 16, 2010.

Zdaneman

Ok, I've checked fluid, checked fuses, no leaks anywhere---recent brake job? It doesn't stay on, usually at low idle. Above 2K it goes out? WTH?

Any thoughts on what to check next?

Zdaneman sends

CRKrieger

Check the sending unit on the top of the reservoir.

Otherwise, I'd suggest SI batteries in the dash unit - at least if the E30 uses the same basic design as the E28 did.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

The light should go off when the alternator starts charging. If the car sits a lot, the alternator may take a quick throttle blip to get it going, then the brake light, the battery light, and the ABS light should go out.

Zdaneman

Thanks for the advice

I rechecked the brake fluid level again and took it to max. I cleaned the connections, even though they didn't look dirty. Test start shows the light going out and staying out. I'll test drive tomorrow once the rain stops and the road dries up.

Thanks

Zdaneman sends

Zdaneman

Hooha!

Brake fluid light is off and working properly. I took the fluid level to max in the reservoir. I assume the sensor likes the level well above the min mark.

Zdaneman sends