Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e30 trailing arm and bushing replacement

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by 02m3smg2b, Jun 14, 2010.

02m3smg2b guest

If I am replacing the trailing arm bushings do I really need to Loosen the drive axle nut? most post and bently seem to indicate to remove the drive axles at both the diff and the wheel hub, Is there really any need to remove the axle at the hub? why not drop the trailing arms with the outer axle and components attached?

thanks!!

note this is also posted ander the subframe removal thread but re-posted here as a unique thread.

granthr

If I understand your question, you can drop the whole subframe including diff (final drive) with the half shafts still attached to the diff. Drive shaft will have to be disconnected from the diff. Now just be careful NOT to extend the suspension out of it's normal range of motion b/c you can damage the halfshaft cv joints.

MGarrison

So far as I know, it seems most directions are geared towards complete removal and installation of only the particular part/piece. I don't know why it wouldn't be ok to keep the halfshafts attached, except I think the Bentley manual says to not let them hang free or flop - try to secure them so they will stay close to their installed positions. And, check the install instructions in case there's some issue where they have to be positioned w/ pre-load, or some such, although I don't think there is.