Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil service reset tool

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by bswihart, Jun 5, 2010.

bswihart

I used to reset the oil service lights on my 94 530 with a homemade switch by shorting two pins in the diagnostic connector. I made this switch from instructions I found somewhere on the internet and used it for 10 years. I sold the car a few years ago and recently bought an 89 535. I want to reset the oil service light but can't remember which pins to short. Is anyone familiar with this and can point me to the reference. I search these forums and BAV Auto without success. :confused:

bcweir

That's not a very safe way of resetting your lights.

That's 20 pins all packed in a very tight pattern (my 1988 750iL has exactly the same kind of interface).

There are tools made by Zymex that are designed to do the same thing. They cost around $90 and engender far less risk of accidentally shorting one of the other pins and doing who knows what to your DME's.

Just my $.02.

MGarrison

CRKrieger

Of course it's safe if you know which two pins to short! E28 guys lose respect for you if you use anything costing more than a paper clip to reset the SI lights. That said, I fell into disrespect when I built a switch and put it inside a film canister with 6-foot wires so I could sit behind the wheel to watch the lights while resetting them. It cost me nearly $3. In all honesty, most of them use the paper clip method and I've never heard of an adverse result from it, even if they connected the wrong terminals. ;)

Zeichen311

Bonus points if the switch was mounted in the bottom so you could coil up the wires and store them inside the canister. :D

bswihart

I did some more digging and I found the article in "The BMW Enthusiasts Companion". Had to dig for this one as it has found its way to the bottom of stacks of car stuff. Any way, I will post the picture when I scan it. I built the switch dscribed by Krieger. The article I reference has a parts list from Radio Shack, about $2.50 a few years ago. I must have done this 30 times on my 94 530 with no problems.

CRKrieger

DAMN YOU, NotTheStig! No; they would not fit in there. Are you old enough to remember how big a 35mm film canister is? :cool:

I think I should get points for never having used an official BMW reset tool ... :p
    • Staff

steven s

35mm canisters didn't only hold film you know. :)

Zeichen311

:D Not only am I old enough, I am anachronistic enough to have a good two dozen in my freezer--and not because I forgot they're there.

You sure do get points for a perfect DIY track record but that's a different bonus! I had a hunch that the reset requires minimal current, so with a really fine wire like 24-gauge.... ;)

Right--they're perfect for storing small screws, washers and other, um, stuff....:rolleyes:
    • Staff

steven s

Never thought about storing screws. :)

TeamStowell We love driving!

Extra bonus points if you know what a film canister is! I think I threw my home made reset tool away when a ventured into the 21st century for a couple of years.... I got smart and am heading backwards again. :p

tiFreak

how many points do I get for having never used any reset tool of any kind? I just ignore the lights :D

granthr

None, but if you put black electrical tape over them, maybe we will give you 2! :D

az3579

No, that's highly bootleg and looks stupid. You get negative points for that!