Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New 530 xi owner/ ??'s

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by casualvic, Jun 5, 2010.

casualvic guest

Hello to all!! I recently purchased a 2007 BMW 530 XI, and I am very satisfied with the purchase!!!! I use it as a daily driver and am in the Army living on post and speed limit is 20- 30 mph max. I understand it is a big engine which pulls a heavy frame, but are there any type of products out there such as programers, chips or anything that will dramaticly change my fuel consumption? I know I will never achieve the fuel efficiency that my prior civics brought me, but any advice would help and I already understand the lead foot theory. Also, does the idrive system have an update with a new interface? it seems a little dull and I dislike how it doesnt stay on the screen you are on prior to shuting off the vehicle. Thanks to all and hope to hear from you

casualvic guest

NOBODY?? wow

az3579

Sure, there are devices that will change your fuel consumption dramatically, in the form of turbo- and superchargers, but those will change it for the worse. There is nothing that will give you better fuel economy; you're stuck with having to alter your driving style. If you can't get better mpg out of your car and you're sure that you're using all of the hypermiling techniques to the best of your ability, then be assured that you won't see any better mpg in that car, ever. If you're not satisfied with the mpg you are getting and you can't change your driving style to make it better, you're probably better off getting another car.

The fact that you have an E60 doesn't help your situation, nor does the fact that your car is equipped with X-drive. An AWD system will dramatically increase your fuel consumption.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to stick to the speed limits around town if you want the best mpg. On the highway, however, you had to adjust your speed to where the car performs the most efficiently, which may not necessarily be the speed limit. I found my car is most efficient at 70, where it is doing 3000rpm in 5th. Some cars will do better at lower speeds, others at higher speeds. This depends on the gearing and at what engine speed the engine is "just right" for highway travel.

As far as iDrive goes, you can probably get a software update, but that will not change the interface at all, and I doubt it will fix the issue you're having with it not staying on the screen you left it on.

floydarogers

Try short-shifting (assuming you have a manual tranny). This is shifting at around 2000 rpm - the idea is to get into the highest gear as fast as possible. Use about 1/4 throttle or more - that eliminates the pumping losses of the closed throttle butterfly.

az3579

??

Could you please explain this?

Steven Otto

Except for 1 little detail.

3 liter sixes have had valvetronic system for some time now. There is no butterfly throttle in a 2007 3 liter six.

floydarogers

Ouch, you're right (my '01 330xi had one!)

Nevertheless, short shifting is the best/only method that may help the OP. Rather than let the rpms get up to 3-4K before shifting, shift at 2K.