Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2007 or Later X5 Spare Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Larry Price, Jun 1, 2010.

Larry Price

Can anyone confirm that if you get a 2007 or 2008 without the third row seats that the car does come equipped with a spare tire? I know both models come with run flat tires (which I hate) but I thought both years did have a spare tire if the car did not have third row seats. I am considering buying a used 2008 and wanted to confirm the spare tire situation

bcweir

The third row seat and spare tire option are not mutually exclusive...

...and have nothing to do with one another.

The factor that will determine whether or not you get a spare tire is whether or not the vehicle in question is equipped with run-flat tires.

No run-flats means the vehicle should have one spare tire, a jack, and the tool kit. Got run-flats? For most of those vehicles, you'll be lucky to get the M-Mobility kit and that's it. No jack, no spare, no lug wrench, and probably no tool kit either.

To assume that an X5 or any other vehicle wouldn't have a spare tire just because it has a third row seat is like assuming a BMW is an automatic just because it's not red in color. Neither has anything to do with the other.

On most SUV's, the spare is either carried under the rear of the vehicle, mounted under the rear floor, or mounted on the rear side of the tailgate. You'd have to consult the owners manual to be sure on the X5.

You can find the link to the owners manuals for most late model BMW's here (under Owners)

http://www.bmwusa.com

BMWCCA1

The spare tire option on the X5 goes in the storage compartment in the rear floor which is where the 3rd-row seats stow, too. They are in fact incompatible. The X5 does come standard with run-flat tires and the optional tire and jack are just that; optional for something like $150 for those who want it.

Irish1

This is correct. ALL 2007+ X5s come with Run-Flat tires, even the X5 M series. There's a $150 option for the spare tire with Jack under the floor on X5s. No room for that spare in the 3rd Row Seat X5s: the cool little bucket seats fit that space. For people contemplating replacing their Run-Flat tires when they wear out with conventional tires, the spare tire option is a good one.